Iraq Veteran Soft Factor? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sky7

Bronze

Re: Iraq Veteran Soft Factor?

Post by sky7 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:16 am

lrslayer wrote:
Dblock20165 wrote:
sky7 wrote:I thought I should add: it's a bloodbath out there. I do believe that hiring is picking up a little, but it's not ANYTHING like what it was in 2007. Realistically, you need to be top 25% at GW, unless you're IP, to make market somewhere. It used to be around top 50% (if you count NLJ + non NLJ firms that pay market). That said, I know that Mason is much much worse.

So, take a 1/4 chance on a lot of debt, or a 1/20 chance with little debt. It's a tough call, but it's the reality.

What is IP? Am I retarded for asking this? Are you 2L, 3L?

Yeah I'm gonna do part time too. Does that have a negative effect on hiring decisions?
IP is intellectual property law. GW is ranked third, after only Berkeley and Stanford.
And by IP, I really mean patent law, not trademark or copyright. Patent prosecution requires a technical background, and requires that you take the patent bar. GW has tons of patent examiners from the USPTO as evening students. While Berkely and Stanford are ranked higher than GW in the IP rankings, GW certainly has the best IP network on the east coast.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:16 am

blowhard wrote:Being a vet helps by about an LSAT point or two. While a lot for a soft factor, it's not a ton. If using your GI Bill, a public school is your best choice as the GI Bill pays 100%. Most scholarships will be applied first so you won't actually get them... Only a few schools (that I am aware of) have reclassified them to get out under the new rules that went into effect this year.
not just public schools are free. Harvard is free for vets and I know a few other Private T1's are as well. But you are right most of the 100% free schools are public. But if you get any scholarship money you can combine that with the GI bill and still get a sizable chunk of law school paid for.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:31 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
blowhard wrote:Being a vet helps by about an LSAT point or two. While a lot for a soft factor, it's not a ton. If using your GI Bill, a public school is your best choice as the GI Bill pays 100%. Most scholarships will be applied first so you won't actually get them... Only a few schools (that I am aware of) have reclassified them to get out under the new rules that went into effect this year.
not just public schools are free. Harvard is free for vets and I know a few other Private T1's are as well. But you are right most of the 100% free schools are public. But if you get any scholarship money you can combine that with the GI bill and still get a sizable chunk of law school paid for.
The new GI Bill pays 100% of public without YR or scholarships. You are correct that some private schools provide enough YR to make them free. I was generalizing...of course some private schools may be better for an individual and their circumstances. People should definitely consider such factors though. Some schools do not guarantee their YR amount for all 3 years and so what may be free 1L may not be 2L/3L. Nor do all private schools that give YR provide enough to cover everyone who applies. (Looking at you Penn...)

My advice was for OP...and with OP's #s there aren't a lot of private schools offering YR. Not sure how Harvard came into play here...OP has no shot there.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:44 pm

blowhard wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
The new GI Bill pays 100% of public without YR or scholarships. You are correct that some private schools provide enough YR to make them free. I was generalizing...of course some private schools may be better for an individual and their circumstances. People should definitely consider such factors though. Some schools do not guarantee their YR amount for all 3 years and so what may be free 1L may not be 2L/3L. Nor do all private schools that give YR provide enough to cover everyone who applies. (Looking at you Penn...)

My advice was for OP...and with OP's #s there aren't a lot of private schools offering YR. Not sure how Harvard came into play here...OP has no shot there.
My bad I didn't know you were only talking to the OP. I know there a lot of veterans who read these threads but don't post because they hear stuff like "that was cover a million times" or " use the search function" I assumed you were just giving out general information. My bad. As for the OP you'd be surprised at how many schools are participating in the yellow ribbon. There are schools at all levels that offer either near 100% tuition or a full ride for eligible veterans.

jessedvhs

Bronze

Post by jessedvhs » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:48 pm

If I may..even punk ass Emory is offering something

http://gibill.va.gov/gi_bill_info/ch33/ ... t_2011.htm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”