Why ND Optional Essay

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ThreeRivers

Why ND Optional Essay

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:05 pm

I'm far from a definite admit (167, 3.44) so I feel like I shouldn't leave this blank.. but I have no clue what to put that sounds ok. I've tried a couple of times and it sounds SO FORCED / horrible

Does it hurt you much if you don't do the optional essay when you are a "could go either way" individual

I'm Catholic so I debated writing about that but it became so cliche

JamMasterJ

Re: Why ND Optional Essay

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:07 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:I'm far from a definite admit (167, 3.44) so I feel like I shouldn't leave this blank.. but I have no clue what to put that sounds ok. I've tried a couple of times and it sounds SO FORCED / horrible

Does it hurt you much if you don't do the optional essay when you are a "could go either way" individual

definitely write it

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:08 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:I'm far from a definite admit (167, 3.44) so I feel like I shouldn't leave this blank.. but I have no clue what to put that sounds ok. I've tried a couple of times and it sounds SO FORCED / horrible

definitely write it

So better to come across as "wow this kid is just writing cliche shit to impress us" than to not write one?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:18 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

definitely write it

So better to come across as "wow this kid is just writing cliche shit to impress us" than to not write one?

No, you come off as "kid who cares enough about the school to take the time to actually write the essay. It's not telling us a lot, just that he cares about the school."

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:18 pm

I am definitely in the same boat as you and can hardly imagine that our plight is unique. I am sure about >1% of Why X Essays actually come across as genuine, unique or are in the least bit compelling. Now, I am sure there is some gradient in that 99%, so it is just about coming across as closer to that 1% in a well-written, thoughtful way.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Did you visit ND? Not exactly the most difficult place to write a Why X? essay about.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:24 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Did you visit ND? Not exactly the most difficult place to write a Why X? essay about.

No, this is why I hate "why x" essays... I don't have the funds to fly across the nation visiting all these schools I'm considering. Once I start getting acceptences / rejections I'll narrow it down to 2 or 3 and visit them.

Basically I'm applying to ND because it gives some national reach while being in my range of schools I can actually apply to (can't really say that lol)

edit: Another issue that sucks for me is my PS involves a story about ethics sort of, and I was trying to think of something to write for ND and I came across that idea... until I realized I already used it lol

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Yeah that's tough then. I'm actually at ND undergrad and would be glad to help. If you want me to take a look at it or something or even give you some ideas to get started I'd be glad to help.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks, I sent you a PM

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:40 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:I'm Catholic so I debated writing about that but it became so cliche

There is a non-cliche way to do that. Don't write "And I especially want to go to Notre Dame because I am Catholic," or anything like that. Talk about reasons for wanting to go to a school that supports similar values to yours, or wanting to be involved in some feature or Catholic life at ND.

Make it subtle; imply that you want to go to ND because you're Catholic, but don't state it.

Not only does that make it seem less cliche, but it also makes you look like a deeper, more thoughtful person - and it takes up more space on the page, which might help you out.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”