What to do with my 10 months off?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tasteofred

What to do with my 10 months off?

Postby tasteofred » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:48 am

Hey all! This forum has been endlessly helpful in the past few years of preparing for law school. I got my GPA from the 3.5 range to 3.82-3.85, changed my major and am taking a year off for LSAT prep because of y'all. All of this gave me much higher standards for my future, motivating me to get in shape. I've lost 70+ pounds and am now a size 6 (from a 16 :oops: ). Hate to be so vain, but I'm not so sure that I would have done so without having spent TONS of time on this forum. Sappy/weird? Probably, but thanks :)

I'm still worrying about being as competitive as possible. Goal is YHS (mostly H). I'm coming from a TTT undergrad and I know it's not supposed to matter, but I have never seen someone get into H from my school (as per their list online). Is this just a coincidence? My school has 50k+ students, you'd think there'd be a lot of aspiring lawyers and that at least one of them would have the stats.

I also have bad-mediocre softs. Two average internships + working through most of school. I have so much trouble believing that you can get into H without doing something significant. I'm currently a legal assistant at a family law firm so I have done NOTHING impressive. I hate my job, but I have to work, are there any jobs I could pursue that would be marginally more of a "good soft"? What about to improve employment chances post-law school?

I've also done little to no volunteering. Besides working and school, I spend most of my free time on Crossfit and related activities, running races, etc. Is this something relevant to a law school admissions resume? As much as I love the stuff, I'd be willing to cut down on it to do some volunteering or something.

I know I'm overthinking this stuff but the whole notion of climbing the ladder from online high school --> crappy ugrad --> Ivy law school is BLOWING. MY. MIND. Is it really possible?

bmore

Re: What to do with my 10 months off?

Postby bmore » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:58 am

With no LSAT no one can help you. Also, you worry me. If you hate your job, maybe law is not for you. I don't think you need anything of major significance for H, other than a great LSAT. Also, I don't think your undergrad will make a difference. Hopefully the 50K+ students mean a public university and not an on-line school. Good luck with your continued self improvement. Rock the LSAT.

tasteofred

Re: What to do with my 10 months off?

Postby tasteofred » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:06 am

bmore wrote:With no LSAT no one can help you. Also, you worry me. If you hate your job, maybe law is not for you. I don't think you need anything of major significance for H, other than a great LSAT. Also, I don't think your undergrad will make a difference. Hopefully the 50K+ students mean a public university and not an on-line school. Good luck with your continued self improvement. Rock the LSAT.

I hate my job because of reasons having nothing to do with the actual work :P Thanks for your input!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”