Apply now & defer vs. apply later?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dsendou

Apply now & defer vs. apply later?

Postby dsendou » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:29 pm

Hey folks,

I am debating whether to apply this cycle and defer or apply later: I would like to work for a year or two (or three, uncertain at this point) after graduation but am pretty sure that I would like to attend law school after those years. I'm hoping to make it into one of HYS, preferably Y (surprise!).

Some info:
My GPA is most likely going to drop after this year. I'm a science major going into a job that is in line with my non-science interests but otherwise completely unrelated to both my major and my motivations for going to law school. The job is with a pretty good company so I think it'll be good WE.

Essentially, I see some reasons to apply now and defer (higher GPA, clearer motivations for applying to law school from a science background) and other reasons to apply later (better WE at the time of application, greater flexibility with time frame of work, deferral might not be granted). So I was wondering what other insights you guys might have.

Thanks.

paratactical

Re: Apply now & defer vs. apply later?

Postby paratactical » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:44 pm

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure, but I don't think you can defer for more than a single year.

Have you taken the LSAT? What's your score and what's your GPA like?

dsendou

Postby dsendou » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:26 am

Both above median. I don't THINK my GPA is likely to drop below median but hey, never know what's going to happen.

Besides GPA, I think my primary concern is how the adcomm/faculty will interpret the combo of a non-traditional major and a totally unrelated job (to both my major and law). My motivations for going into law are connected to my major but I don't know if the WE will give the impression that I am undecided and lacking in personal & career goals - and if that impression is going to hurt me in the application process.

Also, I think Harvard grants a bunch of two-year deferrals for jobs. YS mostly do one-year deferrals (unless it's TFA or Peace Corps) from what I gathered.

dsendou

Postby dsendou » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Any other opinions?

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:19 pm

I don't think many deferrals are granted. If you get admitted to Y, I'd imagine you have to be insanely special to get a 1 year deferral. I would just apply when you're ready to go.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”