How to frame adversity?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
littlepookie

How to frame adversity?

Postby littlepookie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:32 pm

My stats are 3.825 from a T10 (known for no inflation) and 166. I have a strong PS and good LR's. I know that UT requests info about obstacles overcome. The truth is, I have dealt with quite a bit of adversity during the past seven years, but this was all after I graduated from college. And I am ashamed of it. I mean, I grew up poor, but I feel I could have chosen to get a good job had I really been focused. Instead I returned to my home state, became a single mom, then lived in a Southeast Asian country for a year, returned home, dealt with family deaths, became a single mom again, finally marrying my husband, who never graduated from high school and is a child of migrant workers, and who has overcome plenty of adversity in his own right. The bottom line, we have a low income and between us we have five kids. Is this good or bad? Can it be framed in a way that helps me gain admission?

littlepookie

Re: How to frame adversity?

Postby littlepookie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:17 pm

For anyone keeping track, I did submit a diversity statement to UT, and I got in.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:05 am

Yeah, just tell your story in your personal statement. Tell how those situations caused you to realize law school was right for you.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:16 pm

littlepookie wrote:For anyone keeping track, I did submit a diversity statement to UT, and I got in.

Congratulations!

Liquox

Postby Liquox » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:37 pm

littlepookie wrote:My stats are 3.825 from a T10 (known for no inflation) and 166. I have a strong PS and good LR's. I know that UT requests info about obstacles overcome. The truth is, I have dealt with quite a bit of adversity during the past seven years, but this was all after I graduated from college. And I am ashamed of it. I mean, I grew up poor, but I feel I could have chosen to get a good job had I really been focused. Instead I returned to my home state, became a single mom, then lived in a Southeast Asian country for a year, returned home, dealt with family deaths, became a single mom again, finally marrying my husband, who never graduated from high school and is a child of migrant workers, and who has overcome plenty of adversity in his own right. The bottom line, we have a low income and between us we have five kids. Is this good or bad? Can it be framed in a way that helps me gain admission?

if you're asking if you should write a diversity statement, yes you should.
if you're asking if anyone has a magical formula for writing said statement and is willing to share it with you, probably not.

while tls feels for its members in plight, everyone here is also applying to law school. those who wrote mediocre statements can't help you, while those who wrote great statements might be afraid of potential competition. do the best you can. whatever happens happens

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:38 pm

Liquox wrote:
littlepookie wrote:My stats are 3.825 from a T10 (known for no inflation) and 166. I have a strong PS and good LR's. I know that UT requests info about obstacles overcome. The truth is, I have dealt with quite a bit of adversity during the past seven years, but this was all after I graduated from college. And I am ashamed of it. I mean, I grew up poor, but I feel I could have chosen to get a good job had I really been focused. Instead I returned to my home state, became a single mom, then lived in a Southeast Asian country for a year, returned home, dealt with family deaths, became a single mom again, finally marrying my husband, who never graduated from high school and is a child of migrant workers, and who has overcome plenty of adversity in his own right. The bottom line, we have a low income and between us we have five kids. Is this good or bad? Can it be framed in a way that helps me gain admission?

if you're asking if you should write a diversity statement, yes you should.
if you're asking if anyone has a magical formula for writing said statement and is willing to share it with you, probably not.

while tls feels for its members in plight, everyone here is also applying to law school. those who wrote mediocre statements can't help you, while those who wrote great statements might be afraid of potential competition. do the best you can. whatever happens happens

Really?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”