I saw my LOR AFTER it was sent out

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ThreeRivers

I saw my LOR AFTER it was sent out

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:33 pm

I told my LOR I couldn't see it / gave him address to send it to... he sent me an e-mail today of the LOR he sent for me today (it is already processed by LSAC)

Is this now considered unethical?

PurplePirate

Re: I saw my LOR AFTER it was sent out

Postby PurplePirate » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:35 pm

Huh? What?

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:37 pm

PurplePirate wrote:Huh? What?

You sign a waiver that you didn't see your LOR, which I didn't / didn't intend to when my LOR was mailed out but now I have. I know chances are no one will find out but I would really prefer to abide by all the rules
Last edited by ThreeRivers on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Meh. Nobody will care or find out. Now if after seeing the LOR you decide that you don't like it and you try to keep schools from seeing / using it, then you may be looking at an "ethical" violation.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:40 pm

buckilaw wrote:Meh. Nobody will care or find out. Now if after seeing the LOR you decide that you don't like it and you try to keep schools from seeing / using it, then you may be looking at an "ethical" violation.

I actually LOVED it (far more so than I thought I would from him), but I was going to use all 3 of my LOR's for every school anyways... so nothing changed as far as that

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:45 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
buckilaw wrote:Meh. Nobody will care or find out. Now if after seeing the LOR you decide that you don't like it and you try to keep schools from seeing / using it, then you may be looking at an "ethical" violation.

I actually LOVED it (far more so than I thought I would from him), but I was going to use all 3 of my LOR's for every school anyways... so nothing changed as far as that

I really don't see how you violated any ethic or w/e. You sent it without knowing the content and that's obviously the purpose of LSAC's rule.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:47 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:

You sign a waiver that you didn't see your LOR, which I didn't / didn't attend to when my LOR was mailed out but now I have. I know chances are no one will find out but I would really prefer to abide by all the rules

Unless they've changed the rules since I applied last year, the line you sign on the LOR form just waives your right to get the letter after you matriculate under FERPA rules. It in no way means or implies that you're agreeing not to see the letter.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:

You sign a waiver that you didn't see your LOR, which I didn't / didn't attend to when my LOR was mailed out but now I have. I know chances are no one will find out but I would really prefer to abide by all the rules

Unless they've changed the rules since I applied last year, the line you sign on the LOR form just waives your right to get the letter after you matriculate under FERPA rules. It in no way means or implies that you're agreeing not to see the letter.

This.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”