Submitting applications with a pending LSAT retake???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aaramil

Submitting applications with a pending LSAT retake???

Postby aaramil » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:37 pm

I got a 167 on the Oct. date, which is 7 points below my PT average. I plan on retaking in December, but I'm not sure how I should proceed with the applications.

I plan to submit all my non-T14 apps now and be evaluated as-is (hopefully using an improved LSAT to negotiate scholarships money or get off a waitlist) and also apply to my reach schools (NU, UT, Cornell) and ask them to hold off on review until the Dec. score is released?

Is this acceptable? I'm not sure if having a pending LSAT retake will just cause every school to hold off on review until late December. This would be an unnecessary delay for my safety schools and make rolling admission challenges universal instead of T14-isolated.

winning

Re: Submitting applications with a pending LSAT retake???

Postby winning » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:17 pm

This is relevant to my interests.

aaramil

Postby aaramil » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:31 pm

Anyone know how I should proceed?

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:57 pm

Someone here told me you can apply, get rejected, send in your new score, and get re-evaluated

neeko

Postby neeko » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:39 pm

I applied waiting on my retake. Most of my status checkers said incomplete until my new score came in. A few went to complete.

aaramil

Postby aaramil » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:52 pm

I applied waiting on my retake. Most of my status checkers said incomplete until my new score came in. A few went to complete.

Could I submit them all on the retake and email my individual safety schools and request to be evaluated as-is instead of waiting? Anyone have experience with such a request?

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:04 pm

Sounds like there couldn't be a clearer way of telling your safety schools they are safety schools.

aaramil

Postby aaramil » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:11 pm

Sounds like there couldn't be a clearer way of telling your safety schools they are safety schools.

Haha, I know! I'm not sure what to do.

If I don't say anything, then almost every app is late and safety schools are less safe. If I do mention it, then I basically advertise the fact my interest in enrolling is low. If I just give up on the December LSAT altogether, then I abandon all hope of getting into the schools I have worked so hard to attend.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:17 pm

aaramil wrote:I got a 167 on the Oct. date, which is 7 points below my PT average. I plan on retaking in December, but I'm not sure how I should proceed with the applications.

I plan to submit all my non-T14 apps now and be evaluated as-is (hopefully using an improved LSAT to negotiate scholarships money or get off a waitlist) and also apply to my reach schools (NU, UT, Cornell) and ask them to hold off on review until the Dec. score is released?

Is this acceptable? I'm not sure if having a pending LSAT retake will just cause every school to hold off on review until late December. This would be an unnecessary delay for my safety schools and make rolling admission challenges universal instead of T14-isolated.

By asking them to hold off reviewing your apps, you're effectively applying much later in the app process, when a lot of spots have already filled up. This puts pressure on you to do much better. But if you do well enough it ideally shouldn't matter. What's your GPA?

aaramil

Postby aaramil » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:23 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
aaramil wrote:I got a 167 on the Oct. date, which is 7 points below my PT average. I plan on retaking in December, but I'm not sure how I should proceed with the applications.

By asking them to hold off reviewing your apps, you're effectively applying much later in the app process, when a lot of spots have already filled up. This puts pressure on you to do much better. But if you do well enough it ideally shouldn't matter. What's your GPA?

I wonderful 3.39. I am a splitter, though not as much of one as my expected 172 would have made me. I know trends do not matter, but basically all F's date back to my irresponsibility in 2001, and I maintained a 4.0 since re-enrolling in 2008.

scarolinalaw

Postby scarolinalaw » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:40 am

I'm also interested in this topic, as my LSAT score is good enough to get into the state school I most likely want to attend and therefore want to go ahead and get my application in. At the same time, I'm also still planning on retaking to see if I can improve and possibly attend a higher ranked school.

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:58 am

aaramil wrote:

Could I submit them all on the retake and email my individual safety schools and request to be evaluated as-is instead of waiting? Anyone have experience with such a request?

You could try. A few apps asked if I wanted them to wait and one school emailed me and asked.

aaramil

Postby aaramil » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:26 am

neeko wrote:
aaramil wrote:

You could try. A few apps asked if I wanted them to wait and one school emailed me and asked.

Could you PM me the names of the schools which were okay with this?

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:03 am

aaramil wrote:
neeko wrote:
aaramil wrote:

Could you PM me the names of the schools which were okay with this?

PM sent.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”