Why UVA? Should I visit the campus?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jediknight2424

Why UVA? Should I visit the campus?

Postby jediknight2424 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:41 pm

I live about five hours from UVA and am applying early decision there. Do you guys think I should visit the campus or do you think I can write a good "Why UVA" essay without doing so.

Also, do you get to meet any of the admissions people when visiting? Does a visit give you any sort of leg up in the admissions process?

Thanks!

AntipodeanPhil

Re: Why UVA? Should I visit the campus?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:07 pm

If you're applying ED, a 'Why UVA' statement is unnecessary.

If you plan to write one anyway, whether you need to visit the campus to write a good 'Why UVA' depends upon what other reasons you have for applying to UVA. You just need to find a double-spaced page worth of convincing reasons.
Last edited by AntipodeanPhil on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:10 pm

I write a why UVA statement without visiting and it was fine. If I was applying ED I would write one too. You only need to fill a page though so actually coming here for research is probably unnecessary.

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'll take your advice and not visit.

I'd still like to do a Why UVA essay. Any suggestions on where I can start my research other than the UVA website? My initial reason for applying is because I think its the best school I have a shot at, but I'd like to find out more about what the school actually has to offer that my Why essay isn't all BS.

Also, does anyone have any tips on Why essays in general? Is there a thread or article I should check out?

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:39 pm

bump

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:18 pm

I visited there a few weeks ago, it certainly made writing a "why UVA" easier. That being said, the marginal benefit to your chances of admission overall from being able to write a slightly better "why UVA" as a result of having visited vs. writing a "why UVA" without visiting is negligible.

However, if you're applying early decision you should visit anyway IMO.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”