Letters of Recommendation; what should i tell my professors

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
john1990

Letters of Recommendation; what should i tell my professors

Postby john1990 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:50 pm

I am picking two professors who i took 2 classes for a piece, so i knew each of them for a year and i was active in their classes.

My question is

What should i tell them when i ask them for a LOR? They may not know exactly what is expected of them. How should i instruct them to write their LOR in case they haven't done this before

AntipodeanPhil

Re: Letters of Recommendation; what should i tell my professors

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:25 am

The form LSAC produces to include with LORs has very helpful advice.

https://os.lsac.org/Release/Share/PDF/L ... sample.pdf

LSAC wrote:The person whose name appears above is applying to one or more Credential Assembly Service–
participating law schools. This applicant has requested a letter of recommendation from you, and it would be very helpful if you
submit your signed letter as soon as possible. Law schools value your candid appraisal of the applicant's ability, academic and
otherwise, to study law, including qualities of mind and character, dedication, responsibility, and readiness for the rigors of
advanced academic study. Evidence of overcoming adversity, rising to challenges, and achieving beyond expectations are
helpful in assessing candidates for admission. You may wish to include how well you know the candidate and in what capacity,
your assessment of the relative strength of the candidate within the reference group in which she or he is being compared, and
how the candidate will add to the diversity of the law school.

Also, whatever you do, don't tell them that the deadline is February. Perhaps find a way to set an earlier deadline for them without lying.

And it would probably be a good idea to include some information that would remind them who you are and help them get to know you better - a resume, a paper you wrote for one of the classes, et cetera. Obviously, you can make sure this information presents you in the best light.

john1990

Re: Letters of Recommendation; what should i tell my professors

Postby john1990 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:38 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:The form LSAC produces to include with LORs has very helpful advice.

https://os.lsac.org/Release/Share/PDF/L ... sample.pdf

LSAC wrote:The person whose name appears above is applying to one or more Credential Assembly Service–
participating law schools. This applicant has requested a letter of recommendation from you, and it would be very helpful if you
submit your signed letter as soon as possible. Law schools value your candid appraisal of the applicant's ability, academic and
otherwise, to study law, including qualities of mind and character, dedication, responsibility, and readiness for the rigors of
advanced academic study. Evidence of overcoming adversity, rising to challenges, and achieving beyond expectations are
helpful in assessing candidates for admission. You may wish to include how well you know the candidate and in what capacity,
your assessment of the relative strength of the candidate within the reference group in which she or he is being compared, and
how the candidate will add to the diversity of the law school.

Also, whatever you do, don't tell them that the deadline is February. Perhaps find a way to set an earlier deadline for them without lying.

And it would probably be a good idea to include some information that would remind them who you are and help them get to know you better - a resume, a paper you wrote for one of the classes, et cetera. Obviously, you can make sure this information presents you in the best light.

Thanks for the tips, i'm almost certain that they both remember me well :mrgreen:
I'll just tell them that im applying next week, which is absolutely true assuming i can get their LOR quick

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”