"Complete at Two" - Potentially Dumb Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
roguewave19

"Complete at Two" - Potentially Dumb Question

Postby roguewave19 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

I have three LORs I want to send to all schools. Two are in and one is lagging but should be in "soon", but I'm done waiting around for it.

I want to submit now for the Nov. 1 deadlines and to beat the Oct LSAT score rush :P

A lot of schools say that they accept over two recommendations but deem the file as complete at two.

Does that mean I can assign all three to the schools and have my file be complete even though the letter is lagging? I know it sounds nitpicky and the answer should obviously be yes but I don't want my application stuck in purgatory because my status checker shows one of the letters I assigned as missing. I don't want it to be a reason my app is held up.

roguewave19

Re: "Complete at Two" - Potentially Dumb Question

Postby roguewave19 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:54 am

anyone?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:22 am

Your application won't be complete until LSAC sends your file. They won't send your file until they have everything that they require (like transcripts and a reportable LSAT score) and everything that you assign (like LORs). They will not send a file with three LORS assigned until it has three LORs, this assigning an additional letter will hold up your application. Most schools won't begin to reveiw application until at least early November anyway so I doubt that a few more day's delay would matter and if the LOR is a strong one, it may be worth waiting for.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:34 pm

You can submit with two and send a third later.

roguewave19

Postby roguewave19 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:36 pm

How would I send the third later if it went straight to LSAC? Can I go back and assign it after they already sent the CAS report and have LSAC send it separately?

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:40 pm

roguewave19 wrote:How would I send the third later if it went straight to LSAC? Can I go back and assign it after they already sent the CAS report and have LSAC send it separately?

I believe so. At the very least, you can send it directly to the school.

roguewave19

Postby roguewave19 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:39 am

Update for anyone else with this issue...

I called LSAC and got different information. Apparently you can assign letters that are not into LSAC yet and as long as its a school that mentions in its instructions that it completes your file at 2 recs and you have those two recs, LSAC will send the first report without the extra LOR. In other words, it won't get held up at least by LSAC.

My reports still haven't been generated though, so let's see if this turns out to be true :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”