lsat and law school advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

lsat and law school advice

Postby matt690 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:26 pm

I took a full length powerscore course over the summer. I took the lsat in October, and I just found out I got a 150 (3.87 GPA). I know that if I go up 4 or 5 points, I can have a chance at tier 1 and tier 2 law schools. I have several questions:

-I'm taking the test again in December. If I take a couple hours a day for the next month, what would be the best way to prep. Should I go over practice tests and individual sections only? Should I do problems from each section of the books (a section every night or so) in addition to a practice section?

-Are there any websites that explain answers from individual sections (powerscore just has the individual tests available)?

-If I do not do well, can I take a year and take the test for a 3rd time after a full year of more prep?

-Am I very limited with schools with the 150 and 3.8 7? Do I need to go up?

-Is a tier 1 or 2 law school crucial; is a lower tier 2 law school not worth the time, money, or degree?

Thanks so much.

Chief Littlebighead

Re: lsat and law school advice

Postby Chief Littlebighead » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 pm

A 150 will not get you into any school that is worth going to. A 155 will not get you into any school that is worth going to. A 160 is starting to look a little better, but most likely still will not get you into any school that is worth going to. A 165+ combined with your GPA will start to give you some very attractive options. 170+ and you have the ability to get into the TOP law schools in the nation.

Your GPA of 3.87 is the best thing you have going for you right now. You need to focus on studying as much as possible to get the highest LSAT score you can. The LSAT Prep forum here is a great place to start. However, one method that I have found is to do what I like to think of as pre-formal preparation. Meaning before you delve further into Powerscore methods, TLS methods, etc., attempt to understand your mistakes on your own. You will be surprised at the ways in which you can increase your score just by doing a thorough review of your mistakes, and beginning to understand the test.

What I think is encouraging about the LSAT is that it is a learnable test that evaluates your knowledge in a small subset of academic skills (those necessary to do well in law school). If you really want it, you can get that LSAT score up! Stay positive.

Postby scammedhard » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Sorry for the bad news.

Considering the overproduction of JDs and the very high cost of legal education, going to law school is only worth it if one goes to at least a Tier 1 (or strong regional such as U of Montana) WITH a substantial amount of scholarship money and/or significant in-state tuition benefits. Some T14 might be worth it at sticker, but these would be risky investment.

With a 155, you are not gonna get into the T1 with money. Retake and score at least a 160 or move on with your life. If you want to hear horror stories about law school gone bad, peruse JD Underground.

Postby dailygrind » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Don't post the same thread in multiple forums. It's really obnoxious.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”