Question about academic warning

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iamrobk

Question about academic warning

Postby iamrobk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:43 am

Basically, I was on academic warning with my universities honors college for failing to keep a 3.33 GPA (not cumulative, just for one semester... I actually thought they meant cumulative so it surprised me too). This doesn't show up anywhere on my official transcripts or anything, just in the Honors College's own records. On my apps, when they ask if I've ever been placed on academic warning, should I say yes? I haven't been on probation or anything like that, just warning. Thanks for any help.

yuzu

Re: Question about academic warning

Postby yuzu » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:16 am

iamrobk wrote:I was on academic warning

iamrobk wrote:when they ask if I've ever been placed on academic warning, should I say yes?

If that's the question they ask, you should say yes. (And explain the circumstances like you just did.) If they ask about something else (e.g. academic probation) maybe not. In any case, disclosing shouldn't hurt you much because it's GPA based and they already have the same GPA information from your transcript.

It may also be worth asking the dean's certification office at your school what, if anything, they would say about it when submitting the certification that some law schools require upon enrollment.

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:23 am

Yeah, I figured I should include, was just a little unsure because it was the honors college and not the university. How long should the addendum be, approximately? Like a paragraph or 2?

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:41 pm

iamrobk wrote:Yeah, I figured I should include, was just a little unsure because it was the honors college and not the university. How long should the addendum be, approximately? Like a paragraph or 2?

A paragraph should be fine. You describe what happened as factually as possible, without purple prose or flowery apologies.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”