Addendum question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cleareyesfullheart

Addendum question

Postby cleareyesfullheart » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:39 am

I am planning to write an addendum to the Character and Fitness section as I have been involved with disciplinary action from my school. Specifically, I received a dorm rules violation my freshman year from an RA for drinking in a dorm room with friends. I had to meet with the director of housing about it; it was basically an informal discussion about the rules on underage drinking. I was not drunk or unruly, I had only had one beer, and he emphasized that while we were being responsible it was against university rules, though by no means was it a major infraction. For the addendum I plan on explaining this, and emphasizing that it was at the beginning of college/was an isolated incident. However, I am not sure what else to write. It seems that most people suggest writing what you learned from the experience, but since it was so minor I am not sure what to say. Anybody in a similar situation, or have any advice?

theadvancededit

Re: Addendum question

Postby theadvancededit » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:57 am

For this kind of infraction, you might not have to write an addendum at all. Talk to your res life disciplinary board or the housing office to find out how exactly this was noted in your record, if at all. It doesn't sound like you received a formal violation that would have to be disclosed.

However, if you did, you would describe the incident as it happened. It doesn't have to be long at all, so don't worry about how to describe something "so minor". Just talk about what happened, when it happened (as it was a freshman year incident) and that you have never had any such issues since then and will not in the future. That's it.

cleareyesfullheart

Postby cleareyesfullheart » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks for your help, I went to the conduct office today to ask and they said they do have it on file, though it would not be something that would be disclosed by the university to law schools as it was not a major thing. I feel like it technically is disciplinary action though so I should probably disclose it. One more question, on Harvard's app it says disciplinary sanctions, and there was not really a sanction in this case. Am I alright not noting it on Harvard's application, or should I go ahead and mention it anyway if it won't hurt me?

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:23 pm

cleareyesfullheart wrote:Thanks for your help, I went to the conduct office today to ask and they said they do have it on file, though it would not be something that would be disclosed by the university to law schools as it was not a major thing. I feel like it technically is disciplinary action though so I should probably disclose it. One more question, on Harvard's app it says disciplinary sanctions, and there was not really a sanction in this case. Am I alright not noting it on Harvard's application, or should I go ahead and mention it anyway if it won't hurt me?

Mention it anyway-- it wouldn't hurt you and it cover all your bases.

S30V

Postby S30V » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:25 pm

I would include it.. full disclosure is always safer. If they really are going to reverse a decision based on that... well in that case they would figure it out eventually if they cared that much.

As a former RA, I can't tell you how many people I wrote up, but they are all doing fine now.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”