How much of a disadvantage if applying early January?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mikeylikesit

How much of a disadvantage if applying early January?

Postby mikeylikesit » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:50 pm

I know that applying early is best, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows just how much of a disadvantage it is to wait and apply with a December LSAT score. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

yuzu

Re: How much of a disadvantage if applying early January?

Postby yuzu » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:00 am

I'm not sure exactly how you expect us to quantify it - it depends on the circumstances. If your numbers are marginal for the school they may no longer be willing to take a chance on you because their class is getting full. And from a diversity perspective, they may have already admitted people with your background/interests/regional ties and not be as interested in admitting you.

If you're a clear admit for the school, though, you would probably get in.

Perhaps a late application is equivalent to taking a point or two off your LSAT score in terms of its relative detriment? But keep in mind that if you don't like what you get you can reapply next year.

snailio

Postby snailio » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:12 am

Well at Yale it's not a problem, other schools with rolling admissions yes...like they say early bird gets the worm...two bites at the apple...yadda yadda.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:25 am

If there was one easy thing I could have changed about my cycle last year, it would have been not waiting until January to apply. I ended up getting waitlisted at quite a few schools where I should have been competitive (based on my numbers) and probably missing out on some scholarship offers. While I eventually ended up where I wanted to be, I think getting applications out earlier would have made things much easier and less stressful.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”