Alert schools that I'm retaking LSAT? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jwong01

New

Alert schools that I'm retaking LSAT?

Post by jwong01 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:53 pm

Hey guys, so I'm a borderline case for some of the T14 schools. I have a 169 LSAT and a 3.8 GPA; which may or may not be able to get me into schools like UPenn.

I'm going to have my apps out by this weekend, and I was wondering if it's advantageous for me to alert law schools that I'm retaking the LSAT in December?

The reason why I ask is because while I think I can score higher, I'm afraid schools like UPenn will hold off on offering me admission simply because they know I'm going to be retaking. I guess I'm just worried of messing up, scoring worse than my 169, and then having schools that might have accepted me based off of my 169 wait for my December scores, and then decide to reject me instead.

Thanks for the advice!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Alert schools that I'm retaking LSAT?

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:58 pm

the applications ask whether you'll be taking a future LSAT. You will, obviously, say yes, you will be taking December. The schools will see this.

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:06 pm

Many schools will not make a decision if you are taking the December LSAT until after your score is in. If, however, you want them to review it now, you can ask them to do so.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Schools will find out anyway.

mikeylikesit

Bronze

Post by mikeylikesit » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:16 pm

bigtexmex wrote:Many schools will not make a decision if you are taking the December LSAT until after your score is in. If, however, you want them to review it now, you can ask them to do so.
Is there any point to submitting early then, if you're retaking in December?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:21 pm

mikeylikesit wrote:
bigtexmex wrote:Many schools will not make a decision if you are taking the December LSAT until after your score is in. If, however, you want them to review it now, you can ask them to do so.
Is there any point to submitting early then, if you're retaking in December?
So that the application is in. Get it out of the way early.

skitlets

Bronze

Post by skitlets » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:03 pm

If you plan on retaking but want a school to review your application before hand, do you only get one chance? Meaning if you are rejected, they won't admit you in the same cycle even with an improved score.

One more question. Let's say a school is using rolling admissions and you want your app in early but still plan on retaking. If they accept you before the 2nd score comes in, can you use the 2nd score to determine financial aid?

Thanks!

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Bringing back a thread a few weeks old, but it's relevant and I have a question.

I'm retaking the lsat in Dec. I went on and started applying to schools to get them finished, and I was under the assumption schools would wait until the Dec score to make a decision. The fact I'm taking the Dec. lsat was on the application, and most of my apps are sitting at "Incomplete" or "Hold-LSAT".

However, I had an application to a school I'd like to go to go complete today. I'm pretty sure my numbers aren't good enough. Should I be worried? Is it necessary to call them, and request they not evaluate my app yet?

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:16 pm

stephinmd wrote:Bringing back a thread a few weeks old, but it's relevant and I have a question.

I'm retaking the lsat in Dec. I went on and started applying to schools to get them finished, and I was under the assumption schools would wait until the Dec score to make a decision. The fact I'm taking the Dec. lsat was on the application, and most of my apps are sitting at "Incomplete" or "Hold-LSAT".

However, I had an application to a school I'd like to go to go complete today. I'm pretty sure my numbers aren't good enough. Should I be worried? Is it necessary to call them, and request they not evaluate my app yet?
I would. When I was applying, the majority of schools evaluated my app WITHOUT the retake, and asked that I notify them if I would like them to hold. Very few schools put a hold on my apps pre-retake without me asking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Your 169/3.8 should get you admitted to Penn. If Penn is your first choice, then apply ED. This is expected to be a down year for applications.

citygirl000

Bronze

Post by citygirl000 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:13 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”