How do i disclose my criminal record + admissions impact

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
john1990

How do i disclose my criminal record + admissions impact

Postby john1990 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:54 am

Before i turned 18 i had been arrested 4 times on 11 counts: 5 misdemeanors, and 0 felonies. I was convicted with 2 Youthful offender adjudications for one misdemeanor conspiracy and one driving under the influence
Three years later i'm living a different life, but i know that most schools are going to require that i disclose all 11 charges.
Do i stand a chance of getting into a T1 Law school? Do i stand a chance of getting into any law school or sitting for the bar?
How should i write an addendum, should i explain every situation? Should i mention my path to recovery?
I have a 3.26GPA and a 165 LSAT
Last edited by john1990 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

john1990

Re: Extensive criminal Record

Postby john1990 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:56 am

Should i report Youthful adjudicated cases?
The statement reads : utilization of the youthful offender data is restricted to official purposes authorized by law and should not be further disseminated except upon specific authorization of a court or where specifically required or permitted by statute.

NiccoloA

Re: How do i disclose my criminal record + admissions impact

Postby NiccoloA » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:23 am

Report everything.

Re: Extensive criminal Record

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:26 am

john1990 wrote:Should i report Youthful adjudicated cases?
The statement reads : utilization of the youthful offender data is restricted to official purposes authorized by law and should not be further disseminated except upon specific authorization of a court or where specifically required or permitted by statute.

It is specifically required by statute. This has been discussed in here before. C&F has access to everything. Even expunged records in most states. You need to disclose to schools. It will likely hurt you but I have no idea how much. The amount of time since and what you've done is crucial.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:16 pm

its been 3.5 years, i was 17 and im 21 now

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:40 pm

should i explain the charges in a short writing, or simply scan my police record and attach it electronically to my applications? Can i answer all 4 arrests and charges with one explanation? All charges occurred in a 12 month period and i feel that they can best be explained together. When i explain the reasons that caused me to act, how can i avoid appearing as if im justifying my actions or avoiding blame.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:44 pm

explain how you learned and grew from then to now.

Also, you may have trouble getting into the T1, but not because of this as much as b/c your numbers aren't great

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:54 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:explain how you learned and grew from then to now.

Also, you may have trouble getting into the T1, but not because of this as much as b/c your numbers aren't great

Idk he was a minor. I'd imagine they'd be more forgiving. 17 and 21 is much diff than say 24 and 28.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:22 pm

165 is pretty solid for a lower T1 like american U who's 75th percentile LSAT is a 162.
More importantly, thanks for stating your opinion that my record wont necessarily be a killer

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:25 pm

john1990 wrote:

165 is pretty solid for a lower T1 like american U who's 75th percentile LSAT is a 162.
More importantly, thanks for stating your opinion that my record wont necessarily be a killer

I guess American, OSU and Wisconsin-type schools are in your range. It sucks that this stuff happened, but if you can prove that it was in your past and won't resurface, they will understand that 18yr olds do stupid shit and grow out of it. Tulane admitted a murderer

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:39 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
john1990 wrote:

I guess American, OSU and Wisconsin-type schools are in your range. It sucks that this stuff happened, but if you can prove that it was in your past and won't resurface, they will understand that 18yr olds do stupid shit and grow out of it. Tulane admitted a murderer

How should i go about proving that it wont resurface? Should i mention that i was enrolled in self help groups etc and stress that i have matured. Also, i had dropped out of HS and felt lost with nothing to do and no role model. I'm not trying to dodge any responsibility but i know that nothing like this will ever happen again and that my personal outlook and circumstances have permanently changed

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:41 pm

Also, should i list my four arrests (petite larceny, UPM, DUI, conspiracy) and then give an explanation at the end for the four of them? I imagine that if i give an explanation for each individually it will become redundant

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:49 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
john1990 wrote:

Do u have a site with this? This is fascinating.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:51 pm

john1990 wrote:Also, should i list my four arrests (petite larceny, UPM, DUI, conspiracy) and then give an explanation at the end for the four of them? I imagine that if i give an explanation for each individually it will become redundant

If they were close in length and you have the same explanation then yes. It's easier to forgive 4 things at once than 4 things indvidually in my opinion.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:21 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:
john1990 wrote:Also, should i list my four arrests (petite larceny, UPM, DUI, conspiracy) and then give an explanation at the end for the four of them? I imagine that if i give an explanation for each individually it will become redundant

If they were close in length and you have the same explanation then yes. It's easier to forgive 4 things at once than 4 things indvidually in my opinion.

yes they all occurred in a 12 month window after i dropped out of HS, and all of them stem from drugs. I completed a 3 month rehab program and went back to school. Its been almost 4 years now

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:22 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
john1990 wrote:

i seem to remember yale/harvard doing something similar, and there was a youtube video, but now i cant find it :shock:

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:22 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
john1990 wrote:

above the law

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”