ED or 5-point increase

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Susan_Walid

ED or 5-point increase

Postby Susan_Walid » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Ohio State is my #1 choice. Is it wiser to ED there now? Or (realistically) increase my LSAT score by 5 points and apply after December? I am above the median for GPA but below the 25% for LSAT..help..

bleern031

Re: ED or 5-point increase

Postby bleern031 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:52 pm

Well, TLS generally agrees that EDs are only helpful if you have the numbers for it.
By saying numbers, I mean more LSAT than GPA.
So, honestly, I would wait. Unless you can submit both scores for review in the long run.

Susan_Walid

Postby Susan_Walid » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm just confused about the "concept" of EDing in the first place. Why ED? If TLS agrees you should only do it if you have the numbers for it...whats the difference between ED and just applying regular if u have the numbers for both...

Hmm sounds confusing..what I'm really trying to ask is: what benefits does ED confer?

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:53 pm

Susan_Walid wrote:I'm just confused about the "concept" of EDing in the first place. Why ED? If TLS agrees you should only do it if you have the numbers for it...whats the difference between ED and just applying regular if u have the numbers for both...

Hmm sounds confusing..what I'm really trying to ask is: what benefits does ED confer?

If you are within the median (or at least very close), ED'ing can clinch it for you. Also, there's the added benefit of finding out earlier than most.

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Susan_Walid wrote:Ohio State is my #1 choice. Is it wiser to ED there now? Or (realistically) increase my LSAT score by 5 points and apply after December? I am above the median for GPA but below the 25% for LSAT..help..

I would go for the higher score, as you will not be able to reapply this cycle if you get rejected now. LSAT carries more weight than GPA and much of the lower quartile will be for people who got in because of affirmative action.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:51 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
Susan_Walid wrote:Ohio State is my #1 choice. Is it wiser to ED there now? Or (realistically) increase my LSAT score by 5 points and apply after December? I am above the median for GPA but below the 25% for LSAT..help..

I would go for the higher score, as you will not be able to reapply this cycle if you get rejected now. LSAT carries more weight than GPA and much of the lower quartile will be for people who got in because of affirmative action.

For some schools you can include an addendum saying you are retaking in Dec though, correct?

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:02 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:

For some schools you can include an addendum saying you are retaking in Dec though, correct?

I suspect if she did that she would then not be able to ED.

But I don't know if you're just joking or not.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:10 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:

I suspect if she did that she would then not be able to ED.

But I don't know if you're just joking or not.

I was thinking of the scenario in which the OP was rejected ED but still considered among the RD pool...

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:11 pm

But if her LSAT is below the 25th, she might be looking at a regular rejection rather than a waitlist.

Edit: And you didn't acknowledge my joke.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:29 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:But if her LSAT is below the 25th, she might be looking at a regular rejection rather than a waitlist.

Edit: And you didn't acknowledge my joke.

True, I was more wondering if the addendum could help that (i.e., if not admitted ED, then maybe they will hold the app?) I am pretty sure I just read that NU will do this?

Also, heh. Happy?

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:59 pm

LSAT increase.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:07 pm

I'm a 1L at Ohio State. Up your LSAT, ED doesn't really give you a bump here.

Editing my answer due to recent information. ED does give you an admissions boost here. But you should still consider upping your LSAT.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”