Quesion regarding the transcript evaluation -- am I screwed

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BKB

Quesion regarding the transcript evaluation -- am I screwed

Postby BKB » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:15 am

Hi TLSers,
I'm an international JD applicant. As you know, international students need to submit their transcripts to LSAC for an "evaluation".
My grade average is 90.3/100 from a prestigious undergraduate institute. People who have grades average higher than 85 from my university consistently get Superior as their evaluation result. I have several classmates who are also applying in this cycle; their grades average are all lower than me, and they all got Superior.
However, LSAC gave me "average", even in my report there is one scale clearly indicating "90-100:A".
I think this must be a techenical error and appealed, yet after two weeks I was told that nothing was changed for me.
This greatly dismayed me. I'm appealing for a second time. But if my second appeal still doest work out, will this "average" screw me up?
Also FYI: LSAT 174, above average softs. My grade average is listed 90 in my transcript evaluation report. There are a number of students applying from my university each year so there shall be no difficulty for the adcom to find some one to compare.
Many thanks for any opinions.

Samara

Re: Quesion regarding the transcript evaluation -- am I screwed

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will comment, but it's my understanding that schools are more lenient on int'l grades because they don't get reported to USNWR. Good luck on the appeal though!

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:54 pm

So you got an "average" evaluation - not even "above average?"

I think the consensus here is that "above average" would only exclude you from HYS and perhaps Chicago - Columbia and NYU have accepted "above averages" with high LSAT scores, as have most or all of the T14 below them.

There is very little information on "average" candidates - especially "average" candidates with LSAT scores as high as yours - so it's really hard to know if that would rule out any further schools.

If you can't get your evaluation changed, you should definitely submit an addendum explaining your situation. Since the schools don't need to report grade data for you to USNWR, I am sure a convincing addendum would make a big difference.

BKB

Postby BKB » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:14 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:So you got an "average" evaluation - not even "above average?"

I think the consensus here is that "above average" would only exclude you from HYS and perhaps Chicago - Columbia and NYU have accepted "above averages" with high LSAT scores, as have most or all of the T14 below them.

There is very little information on "average" candidates - especially "average" candidates with LSAT scores as high as yours - so it's really hard to know if that would rule out any further schools.

If you can't get your evaluation changed, you should definitely submit an addendum explaining your situation. Since the schools don't need to report grade data for you to USNWR, I am sure a convincing addendum would make a big difference.

Yeah a solid average....though all applicants (except me, of course) from my university with 85 grade average got superior.
I did send an addendum to several law schools, and one school says that “we are familiar with the grade scale of your university. please be assured that your application will not be affected by any misleading notations by LSAC”. I also said in the addendum that I believe LSAC will update my report since I've appealed. But now it seems LSAC won't do that....

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:44 pm

BKB wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:So you got an "average" evaluation - not even "above average?"

Yeah a solid average....though all applicants (except me, of course) from my university with 85 grade average got superior.
I did send an addendum to several law schools, and one school says that “we are familiar with the grade scale of your university. please be assured that your application will not be affected by any misleading notations by LSAC”. I also said in the addendum that I believe LSAC will update my report since I've appealed. But now it seems LSAC won't do that....

I would place a lot more stock in what the law schools say since your GPA isn't reported anywhere.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”