Internship Experience

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yaleber

Internship Experience

Postby yaleber » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:33 pm

I'm a senior living in Washington DC taking classes and working full time. I work at Patton Boggs. It is my intention to go into public policy after I complete law school. My question is does it matter to an admissions board that Patton Boggs is consistently ranked the number one lobbying firm in Washington? How much pull do you think that's going to have?

Thanks

Helicio

Re: Internship Experience

Postby Helicio » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Meh, maybe a little. I still think that extracurriculars really don't matter all that much unless you published a book or something. It's all about your GPA and LSAT.

blazinswordofjustice

Postby blazinswordofjustice » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Helicio wrote:It's all about your GPA and LSAT.

+1, short of veteran status, police/firemen, authors, D1/professional athletes, something truly impressive, etc...softs are just softs...

that being said, don't be discouraged, its not like its bad, its still shows strong WE, its just not a be all, end all soft...

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Political/law firm work is pretty common among applicants, so I don't think it sets you apart.

The main thing it shows is your dedication to political/lobbying work and your understanding of what you're getting into. Could help corroborate your PS if it's about lobbying.

I think they care about undergrad reputation a little bit, but I don't get the impression that law schools care much about employer prestige. Business school, on the other hand...

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:32 pm

yaleber wrote:It is my intention to go into public policy after I complete law school.

Your predecessors left you with small shoes to fill.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:04 pm

yuzu wrote:The main thing it shows is your dedication to political/lobbying work and your understanding of what you're getting into. Could help corroborate your PS if it's about lobbying.

+1

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:04 am

yuzu wrote:Political/law firm work is pretty common among applicants, so I don't think it sets you apart.

The main thing it shows is your dedication to political/lobbying work and your understanding of what you're getting into. Could help corroborate your PS if it's about lobbying.

I think they care about undergrad reputation a little bit, but I don't get the impression that law schools care much about employer prestige. Business school, on the other hand...

+2

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”