Disability Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sandwiches5000

Bronze

Disability

Post by sandwiches5000 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:45 am

Should I list having been given accommodations in the past for ADHD under some schools' disability sections on their applications? I didn't apply for accommodations for the LSAT. I don't know if it will help or hurt me to mention this to the schools that ask.

eandy

Gold

Re: Disability

Post by eandy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:06 pm

No. At my school, they tell us not to tell them about it, that we should coordinate it after enrolling.

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:29 pm

eandy wrote:No. At my school, they tell us not to tell them about it, that we should coordinate it after enrolling.
Thought so. It just appears that some schools seem to be more friendly to such situations... i.e. UMichigan. They openly talk about addressing such circumstances in your LSAT addendum and encourage people to get accommodations for the LSAT if they did on tests in UG.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:23 pm

I have a learning disorder, and was able to get accommodations on the LSAT after extensive documentation was provided. Unless you had accommodations on the LSAT and received a * by your raw score, I wouldn't mention your disability. It just won't do anything. If your disability had some sort of noticeable effect on your GPA, maybe consider mentioning it. But, I would say it might be seen as you using your disability in order to get admissions kudo points. I have to describe my disability in an addendum because of my LSAT accommodations. Did you know LSAC is the only organization that still puts a * on a standardized test score? Everyone else (GRE, GMATT, etc) have dropped it due to possible discrimination issues. Oh well.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:28 pm

Last edited by EMZE on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:44 pm

EMZE wrote:On a similar note, would it be of any benefit to mention that you would qualify for a disability under policy, but that your score reflects being tested without accommodations?
If your essay reads, "Look how awesome I am - I scored this with a disability AND no accommodated testing!", then no, I wouldn't mention it.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:31 pm

I still wouldn't mention it. Maybe in a personal statement you could mention how your disability has made you a better student/person. But otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”