Letter from Alumni

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rosenbiems

Letter from Alumni

Postby rosenbiems » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:18 am

Last edited by rosenbiems on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No13baby

Re: Letter from Alumni

Postby No13baby » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:21 am

rosenbiems wrote:Dear all,

A family friend, who attended my prospective #1, has offered to write me a letter. I do not know him particularly well, but I'm sure he would write nice things about me (I will conduct a phone interview with him beforehand and he will read my PS). Is such a thing appropriate? Would it even be helpful? How would adcomms look at such a letter?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

Best

If this person can't speak to your academic ability or work experience, don't have them write a letter. Adcomms care way more about how well your recommender knows you than where the recommender went to school.

chem

Postby chem » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:21 am

No13baby wrote:
rosenbiems wrote:Dear all,

A family friend, who attended my prospective #1, has offered to write me a letter. I do not know him particularly well, but I'm sure he would write nice things about me (I will conduct a phone interview with him beforehand and he will read my PS). Is such a thing appropriate? Would it even be helpful? How would adcomms look at such a letter?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

Best

If this person can't speak to your academic ability or work experience, don't have them write a letter. Adcomms care way more about how well your recommender knows you than where the recommender went to school.

+1

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:26 am

I don't know, I think it could have some value as a third LOR or a LOCI accompaniment provided they know you well enough to speak cogently to your character. Academic/work letters are definitely better though.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:48 am

I agree with Samara. Get the letter and keep it as a possible attachment to a LOCI if you get waitlisted.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:36 pm

It can serve as a good supplement to LOCI-- however, still consider how well this person knows you. If they can talk positively about specific softs and other attributes, even better.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:13 pm

No offense, this sounds completely useless. I wouldn't rely on it. Third person commentary is awesome and all, but it's not going to affect your admissions process. Focus on stuff that matters.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:38 pm

Yea, I'd skip using it as a third LoR as being peripherally related to an alumnus isn't really going to be a boost, but as a supplement to a LOCI, it might work.

tennisballs

Postby tennisballs » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:56 pm

If he's a notable alumni/still active in the university... I would go for it.

Character evaluations may not help, but if packaged correctly will not hurt.

futurelawyer123

Postby futurelawyer123 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:36 pm

I have a related question... one of my number one choices is Cornell, and my mother is an alum of the law school. She obviously knows me extremely well, so her ability to speak to my character and work ethic is not the issue. However, I would assume that having my mommy write a LoR would be a bad move... is this a safe assumption?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:39 pm

futurelawyer123 wrote:I have a related question... one of my number one choices is Cornell, and my mother is an alum of the law school. She obviously knows me extremely well, so her ability to speak to my character and work ethic is not the issue. However, I would assume that having my mommy write a LoR would be a bad move... is this a safe assumption?

Don't they specifically ask on the application if you have any family who attended the school? That is the relevant place to mention your mother. They only want to know about legacy. They wouldn't care what she has to say about you, nor would it be relevant. They just want to know about legacy info, since legacies are using good $$ for the school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:48 pm

OP: I doubt that a letter from a family friend will be helpful unless this person has an unusually close relationship with the law school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”