NU Interview Today - Panicking, am I wasting my time?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
scottybared

NU Interview Today - Panicking, am I wasting my time?

Postby scottybared » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:19 am

I have the NU interview later today. It's off-campus, but with someone from the admissions office who was in the area for a law fair. I've been reading through their website this morning and now I'm starting to wonder if I should even be going to the interview. I have no post-graduate work experience, but I do have 18 months of full-time experience from when I worked full-time during the school year for a few semesters. Also, I did serve a full-time church service mission abroad for 2 years which was 60-70 hours a week. I think I can demonstrate that these experiences have helped me mature just as much as 1-2 years of work after undergrad would have (which was my plan), but now I'm wondering if they even care. Am I going to show up and have her tell me that I'm wasting her and my time?

basilseal

Re: NU Interview Today - Panicking, am I wasting my time?

Postby basilseal » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:31 am

Stop panicking. Go to the interview. He/she will be professional and polite, and interested in hearing about your experiences. While you technically don't have WE in the traditional sense, you are also not a K-JD. Even if you were, it would be worth going to the interview. Relax, and look over the questions on the first page of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=162897

The good stuff:
-What is your least favorite thing about your undergraduate coursework?
-What is the biggest/most important document you have written?
-What is the most difficult decision you have made?
-What is the most significant project you have managed?
-Tell me about the worst boss you have worked for and how you resolved issues.
-How would your professors describe you?
-Why NU?
-Why law school?
-Have you been to Chicago during the winter?
-Why did you choose your undergrad school?
-What would you change about your undergrad experience if you could?
-How will you define success in your career?
-How do you deal with conflict?
-Tell me about your most significant experience speaking in front of other people.
-What would you do if you didn't get into any law schools?
-If you were accepted to all of the schools how would you decide where to go?
-What was your favorite class? What was you most difficult class?
-What do you do for fun?
-What kinds of extracurricular activities were you involved in?
- What do you think is important to being a leader?
- What traits do you have that make you a successful leader?
- Who or what inspired you to attend law school?

Knock 'em dead.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:21 am

scottybared wrote:I have the NU interview later today. It's off-campus, but with someone from the admissions office who was in the area for a law fair. I've been reading through their website this morning and now I'm starting to wonder if I should even be going to the interview. I have no post-graduate work experience, but I do have 18 months of full-time experience from when I worked full-time during the school year for a few semesters. Also, I did serve a full-time church service mission abroad for 2 years which was 60-70 hours a week. I think I can demonstrate that these experiences have helped me mature just as much as 1-2 years of work after undergrad would have (which was my plan), but now I'm wondering if they even care. Am I going to show up and have her tell me that I'm wasting her and my time?

Did you do the mission after you graduated UG? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if they counted that as work experience. Either way, it's definitely a demonstration of post-UG maturity, which is what they are really looking for.

Everyone I've heard from says the off-campus interview is really chill, so I wouldn't sweat it. As basil said, check out the NU thread and feel free to post there. We're very helpful! Good luck!

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:29 am

The admissions robot I interviewed with was a huge waste of my time, but I certainly wouldn't worry about the interview. My interviewer was completely unprepared, obviously not having looked at my resume once. Hopefully yours will be more useful.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”