Question about Majors

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AxelZabarain

Question about Majors

Postby AxelZabarain » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:42 am

Tips?
Last edited by AxelZabarain on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

minnbills

Re: Question about Majors

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:43 am

for admissions the 3.8 would serve you best.

Taking econ would probably be most useful though.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:44 am

AxelZabarain wrote:Hey guys I'm a junior hoping to get into a t14 school. I've taken classes in Political Science and Criminal Justice, found them both interesting, and could major in either one. I don't know which major would be viewed more favorably by an admissions council, but I'm guessing PoliSci. I'm also thinking about getting a minor in Economics but there's a chance that might lower my GPA. So I guess my question is what would be better a:

3.8 in Criminal Justice
or
3.75 in PoliSci
or
3.7 in PoliSci w/ a minor in Econ

--ImageRemoved--

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:44 am

But seriously, just take what you'd enjoy the most because you'll probably do best in it. No one cares about what you majored in.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:50 am

In her book on law school admissions, Anna Ivey claims admissions reps look down on majors like criminal justice. Still, I'm sure everyone is right that a 3.8 in criminal justice would beat a 3.7 in political science, since the numbers are all that really matter.

On that topic, though: on average, political science majors score 7 points higher than criminal justice majors on the LSAT. Criminal justice is dead last on the list, with an average LSAT score of 145. In part I imagine that is because of the people who choose to major in criminal justice, but that can't be the whole story.

AxelZabarain

Postby AxelZabarain » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:58 am

\
Last edited by AxelZabarain on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:04 am

AxelZabarain wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I'm also wondering if pursuing a minor in Econ would be beneficial. For example, lets say I take on Econ and happen to end up with a B in a class. Would it be worth it to lose .05 off my GPA? It might show that I'm taking more rigorous classes, but in the end isn't a higher GPA more important? I'm new to this site and I'm really grateful for all the advice.

Yes, for law school admissions, the numbers are all that really matter. Still, if you could get a good GPA in an academically rigorous subject (not criminal justice), that would be best, because that way you would build the skills necessary to succeed on the LSAT and in law school (where competition is intense, and grades all are important).

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:22 am

No offense to OP, but we really do need to compile a list of information and FAQs that everybody needs to read before they post any questions.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:26 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:No offense to OP, but we really do need to compile a list of information and FAQs that everybody needs to read before they post any questions.

Don't we pretty much have that?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:31 am

Opie wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:No offense to OP, but we really do need to compile a list of information and FAQs that everybody needs to read before they post any questions.

Don't we pretty much have that?

Clearly not considering there are daily posts asking about majors and undergrad institutions.

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:35 am

Major in something which will make you employable in the off chance that law does not work out.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:39 am

MTal wrote:Major in something which will make you employable in the off chance that law does not work out.

MTal, what did you major in? (purely out of curiosity, no trolling attempt here)

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:42 am

Opie wrote:
MTal wrote:Major in something which will make you employable in the off chance that law does not work out.

MTal, what did you major in? (purely out of curiosity, no trolling attempt here)

Econ, with minors in finance, russian, and history.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:45 am

MTal wrote:
Opie wrote:

Econ, with minors in finance, russian, and history.

That's respectable. I'm a business major myself.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:34 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:In her book on law school admissions, Anna Ivey claims admissions reps look down on majors like criminal justice. Still, I'm sure everyone is right that a 3.8 in criminal justice would beat a 3.7 in political science, since the numbers are all that really matter.

On that topic, though: on average, political science majors score 7 points higher than criminal justice majors on the LSAT. Criminal justice is dead last on the list, with an average LSAT score of 145. In part I imagine that is because of the people who choose to major in criminal justice, but that can't be the whole story.

She seems to claim a lot of stupid shit in her book, every time someone quotes her on here it sounds goofed up.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:00 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:In her book on law school admissions, Anna Ivey claims admissions reps look down on majors like criminal justice. Still, I'm sure everyone is right that a 3.8 in criminal justice would beat a 3.7 in political science, since the numbers are all that really matter.

As a CJ major, I think that is the whole story. CJ attracts a weird mix of people...a lot of security guards who want to be cops. When they fail at that, they take the LSAT.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”