Calculation of Full-Time Work Experience

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
franksandbeans

Calculation of Full-Time Work Experience

Postby franksandbeans » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:58 pm

A bunch of schools want you to list the time you've spent working full-time since college.

If I spent a year after college working as an English Teaching Assistant abroad, does that count as "full-time" work experience? I only worked about 20 hrs each week in my school, but my grant enabled me to volunteer as a tutor and complete other projects on the side...

Also, when you calculate full-time experience, do you just count up to the month in which you are applying?

mrtoren

Re: Calculation of Full-Time Work Experience

Postby mrtoren » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:44 am

franksandbeans wrote:A bunch of schools want you to list the time you've spent working full-time since college.

If I spent a year after college working as an English Teaching Assistant abroad, does that count as "full-time" work experience? I only worked about 20 hrs each week in my school, but my grant enabled me to volunteer as a tutor and complete other projects on the side...

Also, when you calculate full-time experience, do you just count up to the month in which you are applying?

I wouldn't count that as full time. Even though you had side projects, you were only officially on the clock for 20 hours a week. Yes, go to the date of your app.

franksandbeans

Postby franksandbeans » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:55 pm

mrtoren wrote:
franksandbeans wrote:A bunch of schools want you to list the time you've spent working full-time since college.

I wouldn't count that as full time. Even though you had side projects, you were only officially on the clock for 20 hours a week. Yes, go to the date of your app.

Thanks. I actually ended up calling a bunch of schools. They all say that your calculation doesn't matter at all. They just end up looking at your resume no matter what.

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:03 pm

franksandbeans wrote:Thanks. I actually ended up calling a bunch of schools. They all say that your calculation doesn't matter at all. They just end up looking at your resume no matter what.

It sounds like they're using this to calculate the "work experience" statistics for their class, and some clerical person will use the number after you're admitted to say "half of our class has at least a year of work experience."

Kess

Postby Kess » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:15 pm

I am coming out of undergrad, but I worked full time in the summers. I am putting 9 months of full time employment. Is that acceptable?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”