Early Application vs Retake

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
sikemenow
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:45 am

Early Application vs Retake

Postby sikemenow » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:12 pm

I know this question may have been repeated to ad nauseam but indulge me.

Took the October LSAT and felt terrible about it. I know this is normal but I am planning on a retake until I know for sure what the score is. That being said and assuming I'm not happy with the Oct score, is it better to go ahead and apply early regardless of the October score and merely inform the schools that I will be retaking in December? Will that allow me the benefit of having my application technically in under the ED timeline as apposed to submitting everything in December or does it even matter since the application will be held for review anyhow until the December scores come in?

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Early Application vs Retake

Postby emkay625 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Same question.

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Early Application vs Retake

Postby mrtoren » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:49 am

Why are you freaking out before you have a score in your hands? No one can give you advice until it comes back. Also, FWIW, I don't think you will qualify for ED if you take the December LSAT. Most have specific clauses that list the October LSAT as the cut off. It makes sense, considering most law schools offer ED candidates a decision in the first week of December. So you need to pop a few Xanax pills, calm down, and wait it out. If your score is acceptable, apply under ED. If its atrocious, forget ED and start studying your ass for December.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Early Application vs Retake

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:33 am

You cannot qualify for ED at almost any school with the December LSAT (the only exception I can imagine is Duke, which has a later second round of ED, but I'm not sure if the December LSAT would qualify).

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Early Application vs Retake

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:36 am

Bildungsroman wrote:You cannot qualify for ED at almost any school with the December LSAT (the only exception I can imagine is Duke, which has a later second round of ED, but I'm not sure if the December LSAT would qualify).

and UVA, right?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Early Application vs Retake

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:47 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:You cannot qualify for ED at almost any school with the December LSAT (the only exception I can imagine is Duke, which has a later second round of ED, but I'm not sure if the December LSAT would qualify).

and UVA, right?

Yeah, idk how UVA's ED works. I was mostly talking about ED at reputable schools.

User avatar
Ohiobumpkin
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:50 am

Re: Early Application vs Retake

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:32 pm

Not to mention ED does not help improve your chances enough to make up for a bad score. ED is typically useful if you are right on a competitive school's medians for GPA and LSAT. Then ED comes into play as a potentially decisive advantage to you. Otherwise, ED should not be used.

User avatar
theadvancededit
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Re: Early Application vs Retake

Postby theadvancededit » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:46 pm

You (or any of us) can't adequately assess your situation without your score. So, wait it out-- in about 3 days or so, you'll be in a better position to decide.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Early Application vs Retake

Postby ahduth » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:55 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:Not to mention ED does not help improve your chances enough to make up for a bad score. ED is typically useful if you are right on a competitive school's medians for GPA and LSAT. Then ED comes into play as a potentially decisive advantage to you. Otherwise, ED should not be used.


Wait, if you're at the median why would you ED?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Early Application vs Retake

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:30 pm

ahduth wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:Not to mention ED does not help improve your chances enough to make up for a bad score. ED is typically useful if you are right on a competitive school's medians for GPA and LSAT. Then ED comes into play as a potentially decisive advantage to you. Otherwise, ED should not be used.


Wait, if you're at the median why would you ED?


For school like UVA it helps if you really want to go because they don't just admit anyone. For others, if you meet both medians, just apply regular decision if you are not committed to the school. Chances are you won't get much aid if you are at both medians, so if you really want to go to the school, it doesn't really hurt to do it, if it's the #1 school.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Early Application vs Retake

Postby ahduth » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:Not to mention ED does not help improve your chances enough to make up for a bad score. ED is typically useful if you are right on a competitive school's medians for GPA and LSAT. Then ED comes into play as a potentially decisive advantage to you. Otherwise, ED should not be used.


Wait, if you're at the median why would you ED?


For school like UVA it helps if you really want to go because they don't just admit anyone. For others, if you meet both medians, just apply regular decision if you are not committed to the school. Chances are you won't get much aid if you are at both medians, so if you really want to go to the school, it doesn't really hurt to do it, if it's the #1 school.


Yeah, I didn't even bother with UVA. At the medians you virtually always want to RD so you can get scholarship offers from other schools as potential leverage. That's an imperfect science of course, but I'm thinking you're generally safe (although CLS seemed like the perfect shitstorm last year for people with 4.4 indices).




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mema8645 and 8 guests