Applying ED to 2 schools consecutively

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
stingray

Applying ED to 2 schools consecutively

Postby stingray » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:43 pm

If you are rejected under binding Early Decision at one school, can you then apply to another school ED? Or is only one ED allowed per cycle?

JamMasterJ

Re: Applying ED to 2 schools consecutively

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:48 pm

no, you can actually do three. some people do Northwestern, then UVA, then Georgetown (I believe)

stingray

Postby stingray » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:08 pm

Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:13 pm

Northwestern says you can't ED to multiple schools in a cycle if one of those schools is Northwestern. Most others don't care. Check with the schools to be sure.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:17 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Northwestern says you can't ED to multiple schools in a cycle if one of those schools is Northwestern. Most others don't care. Check with the schools to be sure.

But if you get rejected from NW, why would they have any sway over what you do?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Northwestern says you can't ED to multiple schools in a cycle if one of those schools is Northwestern. Most others don't care. Check with the schools to be sure.

I've often wondered the same thing.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:26 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:

Maybe they could email the other schools to tell them to reject you based on a breach of contract / unethical behavior? I wouldn't risk it.

stingray

Postby stingray » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:34 pm

I just spoke to the other school that I am planning on applying to ED, and they said that it would be fine.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:38 pm

thelawyler wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:

Maybe they could email the other schools to tell them to reject you based on a breach of contract / unethical behavior? I wouldn't risk it.

That's so dick. "Even though we rejected you, we're still going to stand in your way of potentially getting into the best school you can."

Not cool, Northwestern.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:38 pm

My understanding is that if you intend to try multiple T-14 ED apps until accepted, the best route is to start with Virginia due to their quick response time & to avoid Northwestern due to their restriction. However, Northwestern has instituted a new ED policy this cycle which awards full tuition scholarships to those accepted ED. Check to see whether or not NU has changed other provisions of their ED policy.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:41 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
thelawyler wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:

That's so dick. "Even though we rejected you, we're still going to stand in your way of potentially getting into the best school you can."

Not cool, Northwestern.

maybe NW intends to take a while, and doesn't want kids pressuring them to be done quickly?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:35 pm

As others have said it depends on the school. As of last cycle NU said no while UVa/UMich/GULC all said yes.

The generally best way of going about multiple T14 ED's is UVa then UMich then GULC. You can replace UMich with other schools but UMich has generally more lenient requirements than UPenn/Duke/etc so that is why I would recommend it second. And of course GULC has a late ED deadline as well. As of last cycle I think Duke had a late ED deadline too so you could swap in Duke for GULC but as noted Duke is generally more stringent than GULC so if you are trying to hedge your bets then I would say go with the above 3.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:36 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Check to see whether or not NU has changed other provisions of their ED policy.

They have not. Still restricted to one ED per cycle on NU ED contract.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:40 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
thelawyler wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:

Not cool, Northwestern.

No, I'm 99% sure you can ED somewhere else after getting rejected/held by the NU ED. I remember Johann saying something to that effect a while back, but I don't remember where. Once the ED decision is rendered, you are released from the contract. You just can't ED somewhere else before or during the NU ED.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Samara wrote:No, I'm 99% sure you can ED somewhere else after getting rejected/held by the NU ED. I remember Johann saying something to that effect a while back, but I don't remember where. Once the ED decision is rendered, you are released from the contract. You just can't ED somewhere else before or during the NU ED.

I haven't seen Johann saying it but it is worded on last year's contract saying that you can't and when I emailed their admissions office directly they said the contract barred you from doing another ED that cycle.

However if Johann is okay with it he is technically the final say.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:00 pm

bk1 wrote:As others have said it depends on the school. As of last cycle NU said no while UVa/UMich/GULC all said yes.

The generally best way of going about multiple T14 ED's is UVa then UMich then GULC. You can replace UMich with other schools but UMich has generally more lenient requirements than UPenn/Duke/etc so that is why I would recommend it second. And of course GULC has a late ED deadline as well. As of last cycle I think Duke had a late ED deadline too so you could swap in Duke for GULC but as noted Duke is generally more stringent than GULC so if you are trying to hedge your bets then I would say go with the above 3.

TCR

Glock

Postby Glock » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:17 pm

UVA-> UMICH -> GULC.

This Northwestern scholarship thing screws with the calculus a lot. I doubt they will take as many ED students as they typically do, given that they will be giving a full ride to every single one.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:42 pm

bk1 wrote:
Samara wrote:No, I'm 99% sure you can ED somewhere else after getting rejected/held by the NU ED. I remember Johann saying something to that effect a while back, but I don't remember where. Once the ED decision is rendered, you are released from the contract. You just can't ED somewhere else before or during the NU ED.

I haven't seen Johann saying it but it is worded on last year's contract saying that you can't and when I emailed their admissions office directly they said the contract barred you from doing another ED that cycle.

Hmmmm....maybe I'm wrong. I was looking over his G+ again and all I could find was him saying that getting held or waitlisted "releases you from the BED contract." I guess that doesn't necessarily mean you can ED somewhere else after. I still feel like he said you could somewhere, but until I find corroborating evidence, I'll defer to your call to the admissions office. Hmm...

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:57 pm

Samara wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Hmmmm....maybe I'm wrong. I was looking over his G+ again and all I could find was him saying that getting held or waitlisted "releases you from the BED contract." I guess that doesn't necessarily mean(s) you can ED somewhere else after. I still feel like he said you could somewhere, but until I find corroborating evidence, I'll defer to your call to the admissions office. Hmm...

If you are released from the ED contract then you don't have conflicting obligations if you are accepted to a different school ED.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:58 pm

buckilaw wrote:
Samara wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Hmmmm....maybe I'm wrong. I was looking over his G+ again and all I could find was him saying that getting held or waitlisted "releases you from the BED contract." I guess that doesn't necessarily mean(s) you can ED somewhere else after. I still feel like he said you could somewhere, but until I find corroborating evidence, I'll defer to your call to the admissions office. Hmm...

If you are released from the ED contract then you don't have conflicting obligations if you are accepted to a different school ED.

I mean, that's what I assume...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:54 am

Samara wrote:
buckilaw wrote:If you are released from the ED contract then you don't have conflicting obligations if you are accepted to a different school ED.

I mean, that's what I assume...

I'm not saying it makes sense but they definitely structured their email so that this was not the way it worked.

Honestly if I were considering it this cycle I would call NU just to clear it up since their email answers are dodgy as fuck.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:46 pm

"You can replace UMich with other schools but UMich has generally more lenient requirements than UPenn/Duke/etc so that is why I would recommend it second."

Hello, do UPenn/Duke/etc require additional essay? or just their applications are long and tedious? :D Would you clarify this a bit more for me? I understnad how UVA --> UMich --> GULC works. Thank you.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:58 pm

lovejopd wrote:"You can replace UMich with other schools but UMich has generally more lenient requirements than UPenn/Duke/etc so that is why I would recommend it second."

Hello, do UPenn/Duke/etc require additional essay? or just their applications are long and tedious? :D Would you clarify this a bit more for me? I understnad how UVA --> UMich --> GULC works. Thank you.

I meant that UMich generally has more lenient GPA/LSAT requirements than UPenn/Duke and other lower T14's.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”