Write Addendum For LSAT Score Jump Or Not? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lairdm91

New

Write Addendum For LSAT Score Jump Or Not?

Post by Lairdm91 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:52 pm

I took the LSAT in December 2010 and only scored a 149. I tried studying on my own but realized 3 weeks before the test that I made a poor selection on my study material (thanks McGraw-Hill!). I went into that test crumbling under the pressure because I knew that I hadn't prepared correctly. The testing conditions weren't ideal either. Halfway through the test the proctors thought they were hearing some digital beeping but couldn't pinpoint who was doing it (it was the AC unit), so they threatened to dock everyone unless the person came forward. An argument broke out between the test takers and proctors that lasted 15 minutes.

Anyways, I signed up for a class this time around (which helped tremendously) and I retook the LSAT this month, scoring a 160. So should I write an addendum for the score difference or not? Do I have a good enough excuse?

ThreeRivers

Silver

Re: Write Addendum For LSAT Score Jump Or Not?

Post by ThreeRivers » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Lairdm91 wrote:I took the LSAT in December 2010 and only scored a 149. I tried studying on my own but realized 3 weeks before the test that I made a poor selection on my study material (thanks McGraw-Hill!). I went into that test crumbling under the pressure because I knew that I hadn't prepared correctly. The testing conditions weren't ideal either. Halfway through the test the proctors thought they were hearing some digital beeping but couldn't pinpoint who was doing it (it was the AC unit), so they threatened to dock everyone unless the person came forward. An argument broke out between the test takers and proctors that lasted 15 minutes.

Anyways, I signed up for a class this time around (which helped tremendously) and I retook the LSAT this month, scoring a 160. So should I write an addendum for the score difference or not? Do I have a good enough excuse?
Lol umm... how do you know your October 2011 score already?

PurplePirate

Bronze

Post by PurplePirate » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Lairdm91 wrote:I took the LSAT in December 2010 and only scored a 149. I tried studying on my own but realized 3 weeks before the test that I made a poor selection on my study material (thanks McGraw-Hill!). I went into that test crumbling under the pressure because I knew that I hadn't prepared correctly. The testing conditions weren't ideal either. Halfway through the test the proctors thought they were hearing some digital beeping but couldn't pinpoint who was doing it (it was the AC unit), so they threatened to dock everyone unless the person came forward. An argument broke out between the test takers and proctors that lasted 15 minutes.

How do you know you scored a 160 (this month) if the scores aren't even out yet?

Lairdm91

New

Post by Lairdm91 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:10 pm

Im extremely confident thats what I got. All my practice tests were 160 (give or take) and I didn't have any issues taking the test this time.

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:40 pm

You're probably going to need more compelling reasons than your lack of foresight and the fact that your proctors were jerks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:55 pm

Lairdm91 wrote:Im extremely confident thats what I got. All my practice tests were 160 (give or take) and I didn't have any issues taking the test this time.
Find out what your score is first and then check with your schools to see if they don't ask for one. Some schools ask for an addendum if it's a 4-5 point increase or higher. If one of yours does, then write one. Other than that, don't.

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:37 pm

I have a dissimilar situation, but the question is the same: addendum or not?

Basically I got a "high" score... it was in the 168 - 170 range. I was not sick, had a while to study (was scoring 174-180 80% of the time, never below 171), there were no distractions at my center or reasons that I should have scored low, I didn't come away feeling like games or reading destroyed me. I didn't even think I would score below 171 after having taken it. But then I did.

The second time around I got barely any sleep, took a slightly different approach to studying (but didn't get outside tutoring help this time, either), was as anxious (not cripplingly so, but not completely placid) and I am fairly confident I did very well.

Basically, everything was in my favor the first time around, it just didn't work out. I think the idea that "the average is the best indicator" may be right overall, but is sort of unfair to apply to everyone who didn't have the flu or a relative die the night before. Is it enough to tell them "The first score was far below my average, and I knew I could do better. I [hopefully] scored better on the October LSAT, and I think that this should be given greater weight."

Also, any thoughts on the spread that I would have to achieve to have to write one or not write one?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”