Do T14's look down on community colleges? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Re: Do T14's look down on community colleges?

Post by BiglawOrBust » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Do T14's look down on community colleges?
No, but your T14 cohorts most assuredly will.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:08 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
Eh, not so much. No one really cares, at all, where you went to school, where you're from or whatever.

Although that could just be NYU. The way people talk about it, some of these other schools are more "tense," for lack of a better word.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:09 pm

ahduth wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:
Eh, not so much. No one really cares, at all, where you went to school, where you're from or whatever.

Although that could just be NYU. The way people talk about it, some of these other schools are more "tense," for lack of a better word.
I agree. I have no clue who went where other than when they wear shirts from their undergrad. No one cares, especially after 1st semester. There may have been one or two who were snobbish but that went away when they got their grades back.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:12 pm

blowhard wrote:
ahduth wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:

I agree. I have no clue who went where other than when they wear shirts from their undergrad. No one cares, especially after 1st semester. There may have been one or two who were snobbish but that went away when they got their grades back.
It's the same here. Once you're in, you're in; how you get here is pretty much irrelevant.

Triveal

New

Post by Triveal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:02 pm

I apologize for trying to get the strongest undergraduate education I possibly could. I should've taken the easy route and gone to CC, my mistake.

I didn't plan on going to law school since before high school. I didn't think I'd be penalized later in life by signing up for a rigorous major at the best university I could get in to--and I guess that's my fault now for not finding out about it beforehand? Please

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Triveal wrote:I apologize for trying to get the strongest undergraduate education I possibly could. I should've taken the easy route and gone to CC, my mistake.

I didn't plan on going to law school since before high school. I didn't think I'd be penalized later in life by signing up for a rigorous major at the best university I could get in to--and I guess that's my fault now for not finding out about it beforehand? Please

Yes. Your lack of planning is not my problem. Also, you are asking the authorities to penalize those people who did plan appropriately simply because you failed to do the same.

Hey LSAC, buddy, I decided to a really hard school and it didn't work out so well for getting into law school (which I JUST NOW decided to do!). I think you should penalize people who had easier undergrad courses of work to even it all out for me. I deserve that kind of boost even though I didn't plan properly.

I'd actually be okay with LSAC switching to a percentile based GPA scoring system down the road a few years, so you aren't fucking anybody who planned it out. There should also be some kind of adjustments made for ease of major, maybe a percentile rank there? Engineering majors should clearly not be judged on the same ladder as poli sci.

Triveal

New

Post by Triveal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Glock wrote:
Triveal wrote:I apologize for trying to get the strongest undergraduate education I possibly could. I should've taken the easy route and gone to CC, my mistake.

Yes. Your lack of planning is not my problem. Also, you are asking the authorities to penalize those people who did plan appropriately simply because you failed to do the same.

Hey LSAC, buddy, I decided to a really hard school and it didn't work out so well for getting into law school (which I JUST NOW decided to do!). I think you should penalize people who had easier undergrad courses of work to even it all out for me. I deserve that kind of boost even though I didn't plan properly.

I'd actually be okay with LSAC switching to a percentile based GPA scoring system down the road a few years, so you aren't fucking anybody who planned it out. There should also be some kind of adjustments made for ease of major, maybe a percentile rank there? Engineering majors should clearly not be judged on the same ladder as poli sci.

Right, the error is clearly mine for not taking advantage of the system (when I didn't even know I was going to be a part of it until less than a year ago!) rather than the system's for allowing such a major loophole to exist.

I'm not asking anyone to be penalized. In fact I'm not asking anything, I was simply stating what I thought. I think that it would be much more fair if law schools looked at numbers subjectively instead of objectively.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Triveal wrote:I think that it would be much more fair if law schools looked at numbers subjectively instead of objectively.
You would put USNWR out of business? For shame.

Seriously though, I hear your argument, and it unfortunately doesn't resonate with adcomms generally. If you were going into a field that required heavy duty engineering skills, it might be a bigger deal. But this field is about reading, and dealing with people. Is it really harming the legal profession that a few potential lawyers are being knocked out of the running, just because they had a "hard science" major? Probably not.

This might be one of those "life isn't fair" lessons. Maybe?

edit: grammar

Triveal

New

Post by Triveal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Yeah, I've already accepted that it's one of those lessons, but I still rage when I see someone trying to defend the practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Triveal

New

Post by Triveal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
Triveal wrote:Yeah, I've already accepted that it's one of those lessons, but I still rage when I see someone trying to defend the practice.
Are you fucking serious? Get over yourself. You want special treatment because you got good grades in high school and were able to go to a fancy undergrad? There are plenty of people that went to unprestigious universities or (god-forbid) community college because it was the only school we could get into and/or afford.
Do you really think a 3.7 crim justice major that spent 2 years in CC should be looked at more positively than a 3.5 MIT/Berkeley/Stanford physics undergraduate? Yes, I am saying the second person should get "special treatment".

I'm not saying the 3.7 crim justice is worthless, but numbers have context and should not be examined on an absolute scale.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Apology accepted.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:36 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Triveal

New

Post by Triveal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
Triveal wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
Triveal wrote:Yeah, I've already accepted that it's one of those lessons, but I still rage when I see someone trying to defend the practice.
Are you fucking serious? Get over yourself. You want special treatment because you got good grades in high school and were able to go to a fancy undergrad? There are plenty of people that went to unprestigious universities or (god-forbid) community college because it was the only school we could get into and/or afford.
Do you really think a 3.7 crim justice major that spent 2 years in CC should be looked at more positively than a 3.5 MIT/Berkeley/Stanford physics undergraduate? Yes, I am saying the second person should get "special treatment".

I'm not saying the 3.7 crim justice is worthless, but numbers have context and should not be examined on an absolute scale.
The 3.5 physics major should've gotten a better LSAT and then they wouldn't have to worry about being compared to 3.7 crim justice majors
:lol:

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
Triveal wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:

The 3.5 physics major should've gotten a better LSAT and then they wouldn't have to worry about being compared to 3.7 crim justice majors
Not only that, but the 3.5 physics major will not necessarily have an easier time in law school. If your GPA made that big of a difference, they would look at them subjectively. It just doesn't though. Law school studying is completely different. I know of 3.8+ people that have trouble with it and ~3.3 that are top 5%. The fact that you had a harder degree is commendable, but irrelevant from the day you enter LS. (Unless it's hard science and you're going IP...not one employer gave my shitty CJ degree from a shitty school a second glance. It was all LS and GPA in LS.)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Actually, having a 4.0 from a state school validate more than having a 3.5 from Princeton because at the upper bound, you can't really say the same person wouldn't have finished at the top of the class at any school. By finishing below top 30%, you know you are not tip top. Actually, having a bunch of B's on one's transcript really shows that one didn't get all the material being taught.

Going to a top school doesn't really mean that you are automatically a genius. You know even at Princeton there are people who finish bottom of class.

jamesireland

New

Post by jamesireland » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:44 pm

As someone who attended both a community college and a decent private school after that, I'd say there isn't really much difference in academic rigor between the two. I've also made comparisons between some of courses I took at CC and their counterparts at top schools available online on iTunes, and can say that I don't think the CC courses are any less rigorous.

Also I don't understand the blanket claims that one major is less difficult than another. Where I graduated from many majors only have something like 25-30 hours of required courses. Even if one subject really is more difficult than another, major doesn't seem to be the best indicator of overall difficulty.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm

No. /thread

ag912

New

Post by ag912 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:48 pm

seriously? I barely went to a top 50 undergrad but I can sure as shit say that the classes/level of competition on the curve were way more difficult than the summer GE classes I took at the CC by me which is supposed to be a decent one (Orange Coast College). I dont think I got any lower than a 95% on the 7 classes I took there which encompassed business stats, world history, and lit.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:00 am

I find it funny that people are complaining about CC grade inflation when the trends I've noticed have more people hurting their grades with CC classes than helping them. I took a number of CC classes over the summer and most of them were taught by faculty from the University of Minnesota and they were explicit in telling the class that the only difference between our class and the one at the U was the quality of the facilities. The average grade in my biology class was a D. The only "easy" thing about CC is that most of the classes tend to be lower level survey courses.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:02 am

ag912 wrote:seriously? I barely went to a top 50 undergrad but I can sure as shit say that the classes/level of competition on the curve were way more difficult than the summer GE classes I took at the CC by me which is supposed to be a decent one (Orange Coast College). I dont think I got any lower than a 95% on the 7 classes I took there which encompassed business stats, world history, and lit.
I have rarely seen a connection between a school's ranking and the difficulty of course work. The only "downside" to going to a premier university is that your work is being compared to (hopefully) fairly good academic work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Triveal wrote:
Glock wrote:

Right, the error is clearly mine for not taking advantage of the system (when I didn't even know I was going to be a part of it until less than a year ago!) rather than the system's for allowing such a major loophole to exist.

I'm not asking anyone to be penalized. In fact I'm not asking anything, I was simply stating what I thought. I think that it would be much more fair if law schools looked at numbers subjectively instead of objectively.
How do you propose doing this? By ranking the relative difficulties of every undergraduate institution, major, every course within that major, and every professor by difficulty?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:43 pm

I SAID /thread!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Triveal wrote:
Glock wrote:

If you really think that the reason some people go to Princeton and some go to CC is because the latter were trying to game a system or take advantage of a loophole, then you are probably a sheltered little bitch who is going to have bigger problems in life than law school admissions. For the rest of your life, when you succeed, it will be because you "earned" it and when you fail it will be because the "system" isn't fair. Grow the fuck up and take responsibility for your actions. Did you ever go to a party or sleep in during a class during UG? If so, this is why you may not get into a top school, not my CC education.

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:07 pm

kwais wrote: If you really think that the reason some people go to Princeton and some go to CC is because the latter were trying to game a system or take advantage of a loophole, then you are probably a sheltered little bitch who is going to have bigger problems in life than law school admissions. For the rest of your life, when you succeed, it will be because you "earned" it and when you fail it will be because the "system" isn't fair. Grow the fuck up and take responsibility for your actions. Did you ever go to a party or sleep in during a class during UG? If so, this is why you may not get into a top school, not my CC education.
This, friends, scores a 180.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”