Question on Medians

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cogitoergosum

Question on Medians

Postby cogitoergosum » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:22 pm

I have been told that for most t-14's a 178 LSAT isn't necessarily that much better than a 173 (assuming the median is below 173), since it's just one more score above the median. As a major splitter I am disheartened by this, as I am hoping high LSAT can make up for low GPA.

Does anyone know if the reverse might be true for GPA? Would it be the case that if my GPA is, say, 3.0, and the school's 25th percentile is 3.5, that my 3.0 would be "just another sub-25th percentile"?

acrossthelake

Re: Question on Medians

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:25 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:I have been told that for most t-14's a 178 LSAT isn't necessarily that much better than a 173 (assuming the median is below 173), since it's just one more score above the median. As a major splitter I am disheartened by this, as I am hoping high LSAT can make up for low GPA.

Does anyone know if the reverse might be true for GPA? Would it be the case that if my GPA is, say, 3.0, and the school's 25th percentile is 3.5, that my 3.0 would be "just another sub-25th percentile"?

You were told incorrect information. This is only really true at Stanford, which has a general model of favoring people with high GPAs(3.85+) and an LSAT above median, with no pattern of differentiating between 1 or 7 points over median.

I had a sub 25th percentile GPA for YHS and below median GPA at CCN. If I had a 173, I would've had a very different cycle.

Also, no, a 3.5 will probably do better in admissions than a 3.0, particularly if paired with a very high LSAT. Likewise, my GPA, though slightly below the 25th, was still pretty close and I would have done much worse with a GPA even 0.1 lower.

However, a 3.8+/173 pair is pretty much solid for good results in CCN (though Columbia is finicky).

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:42 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:I have been told that for most t-14's a 178 LSAT isn't necessarily that much better than a 173 (assuming the median is below 173), since it's just one more score above the median. As a major splitter I am disheartened by this, as I am hoping high LSAT can make up for low GPA.

I would agree with this. Once you get above the 75th percentile score, either for LSAT or GPA, you're not helping their numbers at all whether your at a 173 or 178. That said, a 178 is certainly impressive, and it might impress adcomms in the same way that an interesting soft would. In other words, it wouldn't help you that much.

Low GPAs are viewed differently by different schools. Some schools impose GPA floors in which they basically won't accept applicants with below a certain GPA, regardless of LSAT. Other schools are more friendly to splitters in general, and other schools (cough UVA cough) will basically take any GPA if your LSAT is high enough and you apply early decision.

TL;DR: super high LSAT will help you a little, but probably won't overcome schools' general policy with splitter

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:29 pm

duckmoney wrote:

I would agree with this. Once you get above the 75th percentile score, either for LSAT or GPA, you're not helping their numbers at all whether your at a 173 or 178. That said, a 178 is certainly impressive, and it might impress adcomms in the same way that an interesting soft would. In other words, it wouldn't help you that much.

Low GPAs are viewed differently by different schools. Some schools impose GPA floors in which they basically won't accept applicants with below a certain GPA, regardless of LSAT. Other schools are more friendly to splitters in general, and other schools (cough UVA cough) will basically take any GPA if your LSAT is high enough and you apply early decision.

TL;DR: super high LSAT will help you a little, but probably won't overcome schools' general policy with splitter

The general definition of a splitter is someone with an LSAT above the 75th and a 178 is above the 75th at many T14 law schools, while 173 is not.

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:09 pm

Very good, thanks for the info. Hoping for the best...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”