Question about UGPA and graduating institution

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RefleX

Question about UGPA and graduating institution

Postby RefleX » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:28 am

My graduating GPA was much higher than my cumulative UGPA, so if I apply to my graduating institution's law school (Temple, transferred in) do they take my GPA from there or do they still use the cumulative UGPA?

TommyK

Re: Question about UGPA and graduating institution

Postby TommyK » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:37 am

LSAC GPA is cumulative GPA of all classes you have taken prior to your first bachelors graduation, so it includes all Community College classes and previous colleges that you transferred out of

RefleX

Postby RefleX » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Thanks for the response. So if I graduated from Temple they would take the UGPA cumulative over their own?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:53 pm

RefleX wrote:Thanks for the response. So if I graduated from Temple they would take the UGPA cumulative over their own?

They take every single class that you took after high school and before your first bachelor's graduation and come up with a cumulative average.

So yeah - if you graduated from temple, but started your school somewhere else, Temple would be part of your gpa, but so would the first school.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:55 pm

RefleX wrote:Thanks for the response. So if I graduated from Temple they would take the UGPA cumulative over their own?

As far as LSAC goes, your reportable GPA will be cumulative. However, Temple, in reviewing your file, may view your GPA differently for admissions purposes. For reporting purposes, however, each school is required to report the LSAC GPA for admitted students.

Nobody here will be able to accurately tell you if Temple Law admissions will give you a boost for having a higher GPA while at Temple undergrad.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:58 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Nobody here will be able to accurately tell you if Temple Law admissions will give you a boost for having a higher GPA while at Temple undergrad.

Oooooohhh, I didn't understand his question at all. thanks. Yeah - OP - no clue, though my spider sense is telling me they won't because what they have to report is the cumulative gpa and that's what will affect the rankings.

RefleX

Postby RefleX » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the confusion.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”