Addendum for unorthodox UG record???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
E3to

Addendum for unorthodox UG record???

Postby E3to » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:57 pm

edit
Last edited by E3to on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

sendreamson

Re: Addendum for unorthodox UG record???

Postby sendreamson » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:42 am

While those stats would traditionally give an applicant a solid shot at the target schools, I am not sure how your particular UG record would be viewed. It may be limited, but there is also an upward GPA trend. My sense is that those factors might be a wash and schools will just focus on the GPA number, especially given your LSAT. In any case, you should use the addendum to explain the withdrawal.

thoughts?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:46 am

you'll want to write an addendum because most schools require one for time taken off from school. I'd do diversity statement though, if it can be compelling and original. Don't focus as much on the poorer early grades

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:49 am

yeah, i think you still have a great shot at CCN (even greater shot at MVP). But definitely use your addendum to explain the withdrawal as well as the fact that you were working full time your first two semesters, as that clearly had an impact on your grades. just be careful to adopt a neutral sort of tone so as not to sound like you're making excuses.

jbaugh

Postby jbaugh » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:56 pm

Congrats on the LSAT score, no reason to jeopardize your shot at T10 by forgoing the addendum. The hours and course selection issue is a secondary concern, but it is plausible that an admissions committee would question academic inconsistency. I strongly recommend that you include an addendum with a broader focus about financial challenges, etc you likely have experienced.

Maybe others can, but I cannot say anything conclusive about what effect this would have on how adcoms view your UG. It certainly seems tough to use it as an indicator of how you would perform in law school.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:59 pm

I think you absolutely should include an addendum about this.

Your first few semesters are not awful, but I'd assume you were immature at the start.

If you were employed, I think it suggests that based on track record, "Not only did this kid overcome some socioeconomic adversity, but if he can just focus on law school, he may do very well."

E3to

Postby E3to » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:25 pm

Thank you all for the feedback. If there is anyone else who has been through a similar situation, please get in touch - would love to hear your story.

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:32 pm

Took a semester off from UG to help mother rehab from surgery. I'll definitely include an addendum for Harvard, Penn, and Georgetown (which require one for answering "Yes" to that question). But I'm debating whether I should include one for schools that don't explicitly request one for answering "Yes" to the question about taking "one semester or more off from coursework." Technically, it was even less than a semester, since I completed the first 6 weeks of classes before withdrawing to go home for the rehab and re-enrolled at a new school the following semester. Any thoughts?
Last edited by anewaphorist on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madvillain

Postby madvillain » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Had a somewhat similar record, 3.27 freshman year and 4.2 afterwards. At first I didn't put an addendum in any of my apps because my low LSAC gpa was entirely due to an "incomplete" pass/fail class which I stopped going to and neglected to drop. And I didn't have extraneous circumstances or whatnot. But then I got an email from one of the schools I was applying to asking for more information regarding the fail grade; after I gave the explanation the dean was satisfied and ended up accepting me. So I ended up submitting an addendum for all the schools I could. I think it is a good idea to send one in, it doesn't seem to have any negative effects anyway, and best case scenario you will assuage their concerns.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:50 pm

anewaphorist wrote:Took a semester off from UG to help mother rehab from surgery. I'll definitely include an addendum for Harvard, Penn, and Georgetown (which require one for answering "Yes" to that question). But I'm debating whether I should include one for schools that don't explicitly request one for answering "Yes" to the question about taking "one semester or more off from coursework." Technically, it was even less than a semester, since I completed the first 6 weeks of classes before withdrawing to go home for the rehab and re-enrolled at a new school the following semester. Any thoughts?

just do it. as long as it's worded correctly - won't hurt, might help.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:12 pm

madvillain wrote:Had a somewhat similar record, 3.27 freshman year and 4.2 afterwards.

Manvillainy, that is a real buzzkill.

quiver

Postby quiver » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:04 pm

ladybug89 wrote:just do it. as long as it's worded correctly - won't hurt, might help.
This.

jbaugh

Postby jbaugh » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:55 am

Thank you all for the feedback. If there is anyone else who has been through a similar situation, please get in touch - would love to hear your story.

1L at T6 - one my classmates overcame a tough UG experience and is now here with $$. Just want to let you know it is possible, best of luck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”