omg please help

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Susan_Walid

omg please help

Postby Susan_Walid » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:56 pm

With respect to criminal charges, civil law violations, or local ordinance violations (excluding parking violations, but including all other tickets or citations, including those for moving violations) have you ever, as an adult or juvenile, been arrested, charged, convicted, issued a citation, or served probation, or paid restitution or served probation in lieu of being arrested, charged, convicted, or entering a plea (whether a plea of guilty or no contest)?

^DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN SPEEDING TICKETS???????????????????

quadsixm

Re: omg please help

Postby quadsixm » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:57 pm

Susan_Walid wrote:With respect to criminal charges, civil law violations, or local ordinance violations (excluding parking violations, but including all other tickets or citations, including those for moving violations) have you ever, as an adult or juvenile, been arrested, charged, convicted, issued a citation, or served probation, or paid restitution or served probation in lieu of being arrested, charged, convicted, or entering a plea (whether a plea of guilty or no contest)?

Yes

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:58 pm

but including all other tickets or citations, including those for moving violations

*facepalm* Yes.

Susan_Walid

Postby Susan_Walid » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:02 pm

Speeding tickets from high school until now?? Wow I don't have all of the dates :(

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Susan_Walid wrote:Speeding tickets from high school until now?? Wow I don't have all of the dates :(
Um, yes.

Anything you don't disclose now can come back to bite you in the ass come character & fitness time when you're trying to get admitted to the bar.

You need to do everything you possibly can to track down ALL your tickets. Contact the DMVs and/or courts in the jurisdictions in which you have been ticketed and request your records. It's all written down somewhere.

ADks

Postby ADks » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Go to your local friendly DMV and buy a copy of your driving record. That should help you out with your date problem.

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:32 pm

I have maybe 3 speeding tickets, is this a problem?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:40 pm

jpal13 wrote:I have maybe 3 speeding tickets, is this a problem?

This has been discussed like eight million times.

No, not if you disclose them when asked.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:43 pm

I think Tulane admitted a convicted murderer...

For C&F, lack of candor is most often, worse than the actual crime you omitted.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:47 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:

Blessedassurance, I've never told you that I <3 your tar. Are you going to see the Tin Tin movie in December?

jc010

Postby jc010 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:

Confirming the Tulane murderer.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/201 ... ane_l.html

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:13 pm

oh my, and a professor too!

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

Blessedassurance, I've never told you that I <3 your tar. Are you going to see the Tin Tin movie in December?

Definitely, Tintin is way underrated in the US.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:50 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

+1 I am excited to see it. Plus Peter Jackson is producing it and I will see anything that guy works on.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:07 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Blessedassurance, I've never told you that I <3 your tar. Are you going to see the Tin Tin movie in December?

+1 I am excited to see it. Plus Peter Jackson is producing it and I will see anything that guy works on.
I haven't seen all of his stuff but I fell asleep during LOTR (in the theater) and refused to suffer through the other two. Plus I think motion capture is more than a little creepy. But I'm seeing the Tin Tin movie anyway.

I just got the DVDs of the early 90s cartoon and have been watching them. The PAL>NTSC transfer is awful but they're still cute.

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Susan_Walid wrote:With respect to criminal charges, civil law violations, or local ordinance violations (excluding parking violations, but including all other tickets or citations, including those for moving violations) have you ever, as an adult or juvenile, been arrested, charged, convicted, issued a citation, or served probation, or paid restitution or served probation in lieu of being arrested, charged, convicted, or entering a plea (whether a plea of guilty or no contest)?

lol. You sure you want to do this law school thing?

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Which law school is this? Any other schools (other than W&L) that want tickets?

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:21 pm

Disclose.

They don't care if you have traffic tickets and if you screw up the dates, it's not a big deal. The point is that you disclosed them.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:25 pm

Are there any Top 20 schools that have asked for this? I haven't been reading the question that closely and failed to disclose any speeding tickets for my apps so far.....

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Every app I have done asks something like this. Not all of them want speeding tickets, but they want every other violation. I'm afraid I'm having to admit that I hate renewing my tags. :oops:

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:12 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Are there any Top 20 schools that have asked for this? I haven't been reading the question that closely and failed to disclose any speeding tickets for my apps so far.....

Of the applications I submitted only NYU asked for traffic violations and such. Could have changed since.

You may want to reread your applications and submit an addendum if you forgot to include the tickets on an application. At any rate you should come clean before classes start. I doubt they would hold it against you.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:14 pm

bouakedojo wrote:Disclose.

They don't care if you have traffic tickets and if you screw up the dates, it's not a big deal. The point is that you disclosed them.

+1

And, if you're not sure whether to disclose that parking/speeding/open container ticket, just disclose. My advice is to write one addendum including EVERYTHING, and submitting that to every school. It's better to be uniform and excessively thorough than trying to follow semantics with each individual school... and screwing it up.

Kimberly

Postby Kimberly » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:22 pm

yuzu wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:Are there any Top 20 schools that have asked for this? I haven't been reading the question that closely and failed to disclose any speeding tickets for my apps so far.....

Of the applications I submitted only NYU asked for traffic violations and such. Could have changed since.

You may want to reread your applications and submit an addendum if you forgot to include the tickets on an application. At any rate you should come clean before classes start. I doubt they would hold it against you.

I re-read aps to see if they wanted speeding tix:

NYU-no
Boalt-no
Stanford-no
harvard-no
Columbia-no
UCLA-no
U of C- no
Northwestern- no

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:12 pm

Kimberly wrote:I re-read aps to see if they wanted speeding tix:
NYU-no

NYU Fall 2012 App wrote:Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been charged with or convicted of any crime, or charged with or found to have committed any offense (whether or not defined as a crime), or are any such charges pending? This should include matters that have been expunged or dismissed.

I don't see any exception for speeding tickets, and I think they would be considered "offenses" under most definitions of a speeding ticket (e.g. "infraction"). This wouldn't include civil penalties such as Maryland speed camera tickets.

I would (and did) disclose. Your interpretation may vary.

Kimberly

Postby Kimberly » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:19 am

yuzu wrote:
Kimberly wrote:I re-read aps to see if they wanted speeding tix:
NYU-no

NYU Fall 2012 App wrote:Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been charged with or convicted of any crime, or charged with or found to have committed any offense (whether or not defined as a crime), or are any such charges pending? This should include matters that have been expunged or dismissed.

I don't see any exception for speeding tickets, and I think they would be considered "offenses" under most definitions of a speeding ticket (e.g. "infraction"). This wouldn't include civil penalties such as Maryland speed camera tickets.

I would (and did) disclose. Your interpretation may vary.

I did not disclose on this and I do not intend to. It didn't even cross my mind at the time I read this to interpret as including moving violations. I dunno. You are certainly more safe on your interpretation than I am. But, under your interpretation, I hope you also disclosed parking tickets....

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”