"Family"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Redclh

"Family"

Postby Redclh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:53 pm

So I just found out that my wife's uncle is a founder of a major firm in Chicago. I did not include him on the section of the app to a certain school which asked for family who attended the institution. Should I email the admissions office asking them to add it to my app? Does he even count as family as far as that goes?

kaiser

Re: "Family"

Postby kaiser » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Redclh wrote:So I just found out that my wife's uncle is a founder of a major firm in Chicago. I did not include him on the section of the app to a certain school which asked for family who attended the institution. Should I email the admissions office asking them to add it to my app? Does he even count as family as far as that goes?

When they say family, they mean direct family (i.e. parents, siblings, or grandparents). I have an aunt who attended the school, and was told by a few schools that this wasn't "family" in the narrow way they are defining it (though most schools allowed it). But your wife's uncle isn't your "family".

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:57 pm

definitely no

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:02 pm

He may not count for purposes of law school applications, but may help when seeking a job.

Redclh

Postby Redclh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Alright, cool, thanks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”