Patent Law: Any good programs JD/Engineering?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gabletrained

Patent Law: Any good programs JD/Engineering?

Postby gabletrained » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:22 am

Do not have an engineering background, but I'd like to be a patent attorney. Any good programs offering this option?

Aberzombie1892

Re: Patent Law: Any good programs JD/Engineering?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:11 am

I imagine a few of the T14 programs have this option (most notably Stanford).

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:13 pm

You know yourself better than I do, but trying to complete an Engineering program and a JD seems like it might drive you to insanity. I would recommend staggering the programs so that you have enough time to dedicate to an engineering program and a JD separately, since both are notoriously time-consuming, rigorous, and difficult.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:41 pm

bp shinners wrote:You know yourself better than I do, but trying to complete an Engineering program and a JD seems like it might drive you to insanity. I would recommend staggering the programs so that you have enough time to dedicate to an engineering program and a JD separately, since both are notoriously time-consuming, rigorous, and difficult.

This.

And I would do the engineering one first. Those programs are less selective and if you complete it you have something to fall back on if you don't get the law school you want. Also, it might be a good soft for your law apps.

ETA: I know of a couple of schools that do PharmD/JD programs. Not really any good schools though.

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:31 pm

No offense, but if you're talking about getting into a halfway decent eng masters/phd, and you don't have a hard science/eng bachelors, it's HIGHLY unlikely to happen. Heck, even for a lower ranked graduate engineering program, you're going to need to pull strings for it to happen.

Engineering grad programs are not less selective than law school, the pool of applicants is much more self-selective and typically are better qualified for their respective grad programs than 90% of law school applicants. It's like comparing apples to oranges though: for law school, you're looking at a group of people from various backgrounds applying to learn a completely new field/trade. For eng, it's people who are looking to build upon what they've already been studying for 4+ years.

OP, what makes you interested in patent law in the first place? If it's intellectual motivation, then by all means go for it. If it's for completely salary/career-oriented goals, then it's NOT worth it to take 3-7 years to get a grad degree in even the easiest engineering programs out there.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”