Apply for JD then LLM at same school? Will hurt my chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lulzalicious

Apply for JD then LLM at same school? Will hurt my chances?

Postby lulzalicious » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:07 pm

If I apply to school X this cycle for a JD and then decide against it, can I apply to the same school next cycle for an LLM? Would that hurt my chances w/ the LLM app?

Im asking because Im applying to law schools this cycle as well as a 1 yr program in the UK. If I get the 1 yr UK in the school I want I will most likely not take up any offers from US law schools this cycle (unless its an awesome offer). But, in that scenario I would need to do a US LLM the year after just so I can take the bar in NY.

Has anyone done this? All opinions/info welcome :) Thanks!

luthersloan

Re: Apply for JD then LLM at same school? Will hurt my chances?

Postby luthersloan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:23 pm

They won't care. It is just business to them, and admin standards for LLM are way lower anyway at almost all schools, so if you could get in as a JD you will walk in no trouble as an LLM.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:26 pm

I don't know that you will get great info about this. I don't know how competitive LLM admissions are, but I would assume they are less competitive than JD. It probably wouldn't hurt, if anything if you turn down an acceptance you can talk about how you always wondered what going to school at X would be like.

Also, unless the LLM is in tax think about it hard.

lulzalicious

Postby lulzalicious » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:28 pm

luthersloan wrote:They won't care. It is just business to them, and admin standards for LLM are way lower anyway at almost all schools, so if you could get in as a JD you will walk in no trouble as an LLM.

I did not know it was easier to get into the LLM...Thanks! Not so sure its a 'just business' thing though...If I applied and got dinged as a JD would it matter any diff on a future LLM app?

What do other people think on the effect turning down JD offer would have on a future LLM application?

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:17 pm

lulzalicious wrote:If I applied and got dinged as a JD would it matter any diff on a future LLM app?

No, as it depends largely on how you do in LS as opposed to undergrad.

lulzalicious

Postby lulzalicious » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:22 pm

theadvancededit wrote:
lulzalicious wrote:If I applied and got dinged as a JD would it matter any diff on a future LLM app?

No, as it depends largely on how you do in LS as opposed to undergrad.

Yea but Id be applying the following year not having done US LS (I have an intl LLB)

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:29 pm

buckilaw wrote:I don't know that you will get great info about this. I don't know how competitive LLM admissions are, but I would assume they are less competitive than JD. It probably wouldn't hurt, if anything if you turn down an acceptance you can talk about how you always wondered what going to school at X would be like.

Also, unless the LLM is in tax think about it hard.

Um... he needs the LLM to sit for the bar. It's a foreign lawyer LLM.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:36 pm

The one thing I would add is that if you are planing on working in the US, you are better off getting a JD than an LLM, since it generally seems to be seen as a better credential.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:43 pm

lulzalicious wrote:
Yea but Id be applying the following year not having done US LS (I have an intl LLB)

Either way, you getting dinged for a JD shouldn't affect your LLM app the next cycle, the same way it wouldn't affect anyone else re-applying for a JD.

lulzalicious

Postby lulzalicious » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Alright this answers it. Thanks guys

luthersloan wrote:The one thing I would add is that if you are planing on working in the US, you are better off getting a JD than an LLM, since it generally seems to be seen as a better credential.

yea I know that, but if I do this one yr program in the UK I wont be so concerned with practicing in the US, just being able/passing the bar.

Thanks again!

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:57 pm

You want to know if offering to let a school mug you for another year of tuition will make them less likely to accept you?

lulzalicious

Postby lulzalicious » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:05 am

Renzo wrote:You want to know if offering to let a school mug you for another year of tuition will make them less likely to accept you?

Yea, thats exactly what I was asking. RC win for you :)

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:40 am

I found that LLM admissions were actually more competitive, as they are evaluating you based solely upon your marks, against candidates from all over the world with generally very similar backgrounds. In JD admissions, your LLB will make you stand out, and you can potentially use the LSAT as a way to help your application to a school that your marks are not necessarily competitive for. Also, in JD admissions they tend to evaluate foreign marks by a general verbal rating, whereas for LLM admissions they will look more closely at your rank and performance in your LLB.

FYI, depending on where your LLB is from you may be able to sit the NY bar without an LLM. LLMs are totally useless IMHO. Everyone I know who got an LLM is unemployed. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”