New York Law School strikes back Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MTal

Silver

New York Law School strikes back

Post by MTal » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:27 pm

"In a motion to dismiss the complaint filed Thursday, the law school said the plaintiffs relied on "broad generalities" instead of concrete facts to back up their claims that the school massaged its post-graduation statistics to lure prospective students."

http://newsandinsight.thomsonreuters.co ... job_rates/

Personally I believe the plaintiffs laid out a good case and the motion will be denied.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Re: New York Law School strikes back

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:32 pm

MTal wrote:"In a motion to dismiss the complaint filed Thursday, the law school said the plaintiffs relied on "broad generalities" instead of concrete facts to back up their claims that the school massaged its post-graduation statistics to lure prospective students."

Personally I believe the plaintiffs laid out a good case and the motion will be denied.
And your long tenure in law school helped you come to that conclusion? Just kidding brother.

Seriously though, quite interested to see how this turns out. Thanks for posting.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:36 pm

"New York Law School strikes back?"

Every Defendant always files a motion to dismiss alleging the Plaintiff has failed to present a case... This is a typical, mechanical response.

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:14 pm

scammedhard wrote:"New York Law School strikes back?"

Every Defendant always files a motion to dismiss alleging the Plaintiff has failed to present a case... This is a typical, mechanical response.
+1

Nothing worth mentioning here.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:00 pm

+2

Standard motion practice, especially when billable hours are involved.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:59 pm

theadvancededit wrote:

+2

Standard motion practice, especially when billable hours are involved.
Yeah, why would you not file a motion to dismiss? Should I bill my client to file a largely prewritten motion I could do in my sleep and possibly win this case without ever going to court? Sure, why not.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:02 pm

Opie wrote: Yeah, why would you not file a motion to dismiss? Should I bill my client to file a largely prewritten motion I could do in my sleep and possibly win this case without ever going to court? Sure, why not.
Or write a poor one knowing it will be denied so you can go to trial and bill even more hours.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:57 pm

lolololol @ MtD being largely prewritten.

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:02 am

I'm just stunned that MTal has stuck around for 4 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:25 am

paratactical wrote:lolololol @ MtD being largely prewritten.
Everyone I've talked to basically says they're all the same.

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:39 am

All right! Show's over, folks. Move along now.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:42 am

How is "we just did what the ABA told us to" a defense?

I stole that candy bar, but EVERYONE was stealing candy bars!

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:25 pm

minnbills wrote:
Opie wrote: Yeah, why would you not file a motion to dismiss? Should I bill my client to file a largely prewritten motion I could do in my sleep and possibly win this case without ever going to court? Sure, why not.
Or write a poor one knowing it will be denied so you can go to trial and bill even more hours.
Conference, conference, conference.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kimberly

Bronze

Post by Kimberly » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:35 pm

minnbills wrote:
It makes my stomach turn just to read this (= :evil: ). :(

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Are you upset by jokes Kim?

Kimberly

Bronze

Post by Kimberly » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:37 pm

minnbills wrote:Are you upset by jokes Kim?
Only jokes with a nuance of sad and disturbing reality.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:38 pm

lol, like 3/4 of the talk in this thread is massively confused. MTD's are indeed routine (so yes, there's nothing special about the mere fact of one being filed), but they are far from mechanical. In fact they are a crucial stage in litigation and are often heavily researched because they decide whether various claims in the lawsuit remain or get knocked out -- this means (1) if you're the defendant and you get all or most of the substantive claims knocked out, you've won, (2) if you're the plai and enough of your claims survive, you have good leverage to push a settlement, and (3) their results will shape the amount and kind of discovery taken, which has huge bearing on the cost of the litigation.

Also, the thing above about deliberately filing a bad motion to dismiss -- highly unlikely.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Filing an intentionally bad MtD would be hard to prove, but if you could those sanctions would be bonkers.

Also, if you're doing canned MtDs, you're doing something crazy to be sued by enough people singularly to get that many cases. The law might be routine, but the supporting shit, especially well composed statements of facts, should be meticulously composed and quite time consuming. The last MtD I did was a fucking opus of a paper and handily rid the firm's clients of an obviously pesky and inappropriate suit, but it still took time to put together.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:43 pm

paratactical wrote:Filing an intentionally bad MtD would be hard to prove, but if you could those sanctions would be bonkers.

Also, if you're doing canned MtDs, you're doing something crazy to be sued by enough people singularly to get that many cases. The law might be routine, but the supporting shit, especially well composed statements of facts, should be meticulously composed and quite time consuming. The last MtD I did was a fucking opus of a paper and handily rid the firm's clients of an obviously pesky and inappropriate suit, but it still took time to put together.
I still think you should go to law school. You would be so much better at being a lawyer than most of us.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:32 pm

I'm too smart for that racket, jabroni. In ten years, I'll be the admin manager of a firm and raking it in.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:32 pm

MTal wrote:"In a motion to dismiss the complaint filed Thursday, the law school said the plaintiffs relied on "broad generalities" instead of concrete facts to back up their claims that the school massaged its post-graduation statistics to lure prospective students."

THANKS FOR YOU OPINION BRO!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:38 am

Kimberly wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Someone's going into PI

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:56 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
Kimberly wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Someone's going into PI
Hahaha, PI motions are the fan fiction of the legal universe.

Kimberly

Bronze

Post by Kimberly » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:22 am

BiglawOrBust wrote:
Kimberly wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Someone's going into PI

Haaaahaaaa. Nice guess. In all of my outrageous optimism, I would be suited for it.... but I got other plans...

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:25 am

So you're a sellout like the rest of us?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”