Fordham/90,000$ vs. T14/More Debt

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nealric

Re: Fordham/90,000$ vs. T14/More Debt

Postby nealric » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:19 pm

We had gone pretty far into the discussion before a douche showed up. This is probably a record for TLS.

Perhaps poorly worded, but it is true that getting biglaw out of Fordham is far from a slam dunk these days.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:49 pm

also, fordham can be kind of stingy with scholarships. where did you come up with 90K?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:40 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Thanks for the advice. Numbers-wise, I would be above Fordham's numbers in both GPA and LSAT. Is it safe to assume that I would be ahead of the average student (presumably in the top 15% of the class)?

Absolutely not. The LSAT may have a tiny correlation to grades, but remember, the margin of error of an LSAT score is about 2.7 points. And the way the matriculation process works, most people are clustered near median or slightly above.

Restriction of range will severely inhibit the predictive power of your LSAT score at any given school.

Furthermore, law school exams don't really test concepts that are difficult to understand, yet the professors are forced to curve. Most are subjectively graded based on obscure criteria, and you can know the material cold and still end up getting a below median grade because you didn't phrase stuff in a way your professor was hoping you would. If you go to Fordham, only one grade like this can remove you from the running for Biglaw.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:43 pm

JCougar wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Thanks for the advice. Numbers-wise, I would be above Fordham's numbers in both GPA and LSAT. Is it safe to assume that I would be ahead of the average student (presumably in the top 15% of the class)?

Absolutely not. The LSAT may have a tiny correlation to grades, but remember, the margin of error of an LSAT score is about 2.7 points. And the way the matriculation process works, most people are clustered near median or slightly above.

Restriction of range will severely inhibit the predictive power of your LSAT score at any given school.

Furthermore, law school exams don't really test concepts that are difficult to understand, yet the professors are forced to curve. Most are subjectively graded based on obscure criteria, and you can know the material cold and still end up getting a below median grade because you didn't phrase stuff in a way your professor was hoping you would. If you go to Fordham, only one grade like this can remove you from the running for Biglaw.

That's good to know, thank you. If I may ask, did you got Fordham/how did you come to this conclusion?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”