How bad will it hurt my application listing wrong gpa?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PersuasiveCharm

How bad will it hurt my application listing wrong gpa?

Postby PersuasiveCharm » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:20 pm

I made a thread earlier about mistakenly listing the wrong gpa on the education portion of my application.... I applied ED to the school and it is definitely my number one choice. I believe I calculated summer classes that have not yet been paid for into my application when filling out that portion, and my transcripts weren't all in so there was no way I could double check... so as a result it says that my gpa is .15 higher than what it really is on my transcript. How bad will this hurt me? I've sent the admissions an e-mail about it, but I am not sure if they will get it. Will my application be automatically tossed? I'm so nervous.

law4vus

Re: How bad will it hurt my application listing wrong gpa?

Postby law4vus » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:24 pm

You owned up to the mistake and they have your LSDAS print-out anyway. It isn't like they were relying on your self-reporting of your GPA to evaluate your application with.

If you send admissions an email, they'll get it one way or another. Call them on Monday if it bothers you that much. But calm down, this isn't going to make them toss your app.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:08 pm

law4vus wrote:You owned up to the mistake and they have your LSDAS print-out anyway. It isn't like they were relying on your self-reporting of your GPA to evaluate your application with.

If you send admissions an email, they'll get it one way or another. Call them on Monday if it bothers you that much. But calm down, this isn't going to make them toss your app.

+1

They will get your email and definitely call them to follow up on Monday. Good luck.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:16 pm

PersuasiveCharm wrote:I made a thread earlier about mistakenly listing the wrong gpa on the education portion of my application.... I applied ED to the school and it is definitely my number one choice. I believe I calculated summer classes that have not yet been paid for into my application when filling out that portion, and my transcripts weren't all in so there was no way I could double check... so as a result it says that my gpa is .15 higher than what it really is on my transcript. How bad will this hurt me? I've sent the admissions an e-mail about it, but I am not sure if they will get it. Will my application be automatically tossed? I'm so nervous.

Why wouldn't they get your email? That sounds a little odd to me that you would think/say that.. But anyway, if you acknowledged and corrected the error I don't see this as being a big deal. If for some reason they got the impression you did it intentionally I think obv it could be a big problem, but I think the fact you acknowledged the disparity indicates that it was a mistake you want to correct at this point rather than something you are trying to sneak by to make your app more attractive.

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Reading this made me think, do I report the GPA on my undergrad transcript or on my LSDAS on apps?

PersuasiveCharm

Postby PersuasiveCharm » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:08 pm

jpal13 wrote:Reading this made me think, do I report the GPA on my undergrad transcript or on my LSDAS on apps?

DEFINITELY or LSDAS so you're not stressed out and in my situation =/ don't make the mistake I did.

Xoxo good luck!

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Kind of an aside, but how -after at least three years of classes- can a few summer classes not counting into your cumulative create a .15 swing?

PersuasiveCharm

Postby PersuasiveCharm » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:31 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:Kind of an aside, but how -after at least three years of classes- can a few summer classes not counting into your cumulative create a .15 swing?

I took 5 classes this summer to ensure that I would graduate on time. One from my degree granting institution through the office of distance learning. 2 through a local institution during an accelerated May session. And then 2 more from the same local school during the regular summer session. Also, I believe that my undergrad gpa calculates in a more favorable manner than my lsac, and I had a very upward trending gpa after overcoming health issues during the first two years, so straight A's during that summer had a nice impact.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am

PersuasiveCharm wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:Kind of an aside, but how -after at least three years of classes- can a few summer classes not counting into your cumulative create a .15 swing?

I took 5 classes this summer to ensure that I would graduate on time. One from my degree granting institution through the office of distance learning. 2 through a local institution during an accelerated May session. And then 2 more from the same local school during the regular summer session. Also, I believe that my undergrad gpa calculates in a more favorable manner than my lsac, and I had a very upward trending gpa after overcoming health issues during the first two years, so straight A's during that summer had a nice impact.

Ah nice, well congratulations :) It sounds like your hard work paid off!

PersuasiveCharm

Postby PersuasiveCharm » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
PersuasiveCharm wrote:

Ah nice, well congratulations :) It sounds like your hard work paid off!

Thanks.

shaville

Postby shaville » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:43 pm

It's funny how these "mistake" threads invariably involve "mistakes" that "accidentally" make the candidate look better than they really are.

PersuasiveCharm

Postby PersuasiveCharm » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:50 pm

shaville wrote:It's funny how these "mistake" threads invariably involve "mistakes" that "accidentally" make the candidate look better than they really are.

I didn't do it on purpose. Which is why I am trying my hardest to get in contact with the school as soon as possible. I would not try and make myself look bad. My transcript shows my true scores, so why try and incompetently cheat the system? I'm an honest person and I have lost several hours of sleep over this (pathetic I know) because it was truly a mistake. Please don't bring negativity to my thread. So far, everyone has been positive and has offered sound advice, which I have taken. With that being said, I will not respond to anymore of your posts, I really don't like negativity. I try my hardest to be a positive person and to encourage others on this forum. Bye.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”