Reverse Splitter: Apply to Chicago ED?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
catholicgirl

Reverse Splitter: Apply to Chicago ED?

Postby catholicgirl » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:25 pm

Hey guys,

165 LSAT 3.91 GPA. Some family issues have recently come up and I've decided it would probably be best if I stayed in the midwest in case anything bad happens (mom is very ill).

Is there a chance in hell that if I applied to Chicago ED that it would improve my odds? I know I more than likely will NOT get into Northwestern. But do I have a shot at Chicago?

bdubs

Re: Reverse Splitter: Apply to Chicago ED?

Postby bdubs » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:46 pm

If you are a URM then yes you have a chance, but I'm assuming you're not since you're concerned about your chances. You need to retake and get a 168+ (but probably higher) to have a real chance at Chicago.

The alternative would be to defer law school and work for a while. Having to deal with the stress of a seriously ill parent on top of the stresses of 1L would not be fun.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:09 pm

bdubs wrote:The alternative would be to defer law school and work for a while. Having to deal with the stress of a seriously ill parent on top of the stresses of 1L would not be fun.

If family issues are enough to prevent you from leaving the Midwest and limit your choices, then maybe wait a cycle.

PersuasiveCharm

Postby PersuasiveCharm » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Unless you're URM it's looking like you'll most likely get the yellow light. http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1011/ Maybe retake and up your chances? Good luck.

Eta: It looks like applying ED COULD help, I don't think these people did the binding ED, BUT they did apply early with numbers similar to yours and got in:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/linda90/jd

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/glloq17/jd

Everyone else that had numbers similar to yours, but applied AFTER the month of October seems to have gotten waitlisted. I say write a compelling ps and get your app out there right away. Good luck.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:03 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Fellow reverse splitter here. Whenever you ask for advice on TLS and you give away your numbers, prephrase your post with IN BEFORE RETAKE. Although retake is usually good advice lol. Congrats on the still higher than most people's LAT score and awesome GPA. Wish you luck. Also sweet username.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:23 pm

Since you are a Michigan resident, your chances with a 165/3.91 are much greater at Michigan than at Chicago.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”