change of immigration status

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
IamIn

change of immigration status

Postby IamIn » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:42 am

Hi guys!

I am an international student and currently on student visa. I've heard that it is considered a disadvantage because adcomms think that it will be much harder for me to find a job and obtain loans. However, after I finish my applications, I will be in the process of applying for a green card. I didn't find a way to indicate this change of status on the applications. Where would I mention that I will become a permanent resident in the next few months?

icpb

Re: change of immigration status

Postby icpb » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:20 pm

IamIn wrote:Hi guys!

I am an international student and currently on student visa. I've heard that it is considered a disadvantage because adcomms think that it will be much harder for me to find a job and obtain loans. However, after I finish my applications, I will be in the process of applying for a green card. I didn't find a way to indicate this change of status on the applications. Where would I mention that I will become a permanent resident in the next few months?

You can write an addendum, but I doubt that it would matter at all. The general rule is either you have a green card or you don't (just like in college admissions). When your status is adjustment of status, they treat it as you not having a green card (which you don't have and may not have for a long time due to uncertain timeline and backlog). I wouldn't worry about it though. Not having a green card wouldn't make much difference during admissions.

IamIn

Re: change of immigration status

Postby IamIn » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the advice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”