PT v. FT (Mainly GW, but knowledge on other schools welcome)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hrimda

PT v. FT (Mainly GW, but knowledge on other schools welcome)

Postby hrimda » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:27 pm

I'm applying to GW for early decision program this month, but still can't decide whether to go for PT or FT.
I've read some posts on adv and disadv on PT, and I understand that various factors have to be considered.

I'm mainly concerned about my chance of getting accepted, since GW allows PT students to switch to FT completely by 2nd year.

**Given the same GPA/LSAT, do you think person applying PT has better chance of getting accepted through early decision, compared to applying FT? Thanks!!

theadvancededit

Re: PT v. FT (Mainly GW, but knowledge on other schools welcome)

Postby theadvancededit » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:00 am

Generally speaking, applicants have a slightly better chance getting in at PT than at FT. The application pool tends to be smaller and the medians are slightly lower.

tennisking88

Re: PT v. FT (Mainly GW, but knowledge on other schools welcome)

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:12 am

hrimda wrote:I'm applying to GW for early decision program this month, but still can't decide whether to go for PT or FT.
I've read some posts on adv and disadv on PT, and I understand that various factors have to be considered.

I'm mainly concerned about my chance of getting accepted, since GW allows PT students to switch to FT completely by 2nd year.

**Given the same GPA/LSAT, do you think person applying PT has better chance of getting accepted through early decision, compared to applying FT? Thanks!!

Talking to people in the admissions staff, there is no reason to believe that Early Decision helps anyone other than extremely high scorers in securing that scholarship. The medians are lower for part time, yes, but the acceptance rate is lower. They only took about 100 out of 1000 applicants in 2010 for PT. The acc. rate is higher for FT. I also heard that already having a job in DC helps you get a leg up for PT, so if you already have a job in DC, that would be a much bigger help than Early Decision. I would personally say just apply for the program you want to attend, not the one you think you're more likely to get into, since, unless you have a job in DC, your acceptance chances are similar.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”