Thank you email to Director of Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
IronSkadden

Thank you email to Director of Admissions

Postby IronSkadden » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Hi there,

At a law fair last week, I met the director of admissions of a school to which I'm applying. We had a longish conversation and seemed to click. I'm considering sending him/her a "thank you" email for taking the time to talk to me. Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Thanks for your insight.

redwings15

Re: Thank you email to Director of Admissions

Postby redwings15 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:35 pm

There is some brown on your nose.

redwings15

Postby redwings15 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Also, there is some ass on your lips.

Kimberly

Postby Kimberly » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:36 pm

A great idea. Solidify the connection. But, be very brief.

"Dear Dean, It was great to meet you the other day. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. It is much appreciated. Sincerely, IronSkadden"

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:39 pm

you can do this if you want.. but if your reason is that you think it will help you get in with sub-par numbers it is likely pointless.. but if just being courteous I don't see why not.. just dont make it corny.. concise three or four sentences.. hi.. was at the law fair thing.. enjoyed our conversation.. thanks for you time and stuff.. bye

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:11 pm

IronSkadden wrote:At a law fair last week, I met the director of admissions of a school to which I'm applying. We had a longish conversation and seemed to click. I'm considering sending him/her a "thank you" email for taking the time to talk to me. Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

It's definitely a good idea. Getting in the habit of doing this will help you in law school and in the job process. Yes, it's stupid. Yes, it's a bit of a suck up move. You know what? That stuff tends to work.

Would I expect it to get you into the law school with sub-par numbers? No.

Would I expect it to get you a fee waiver? Possibly.

Would I expect it to give you someone to whom you can send an e-mail if you get wait listed and ask about improving your chances? Yes.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:19 pm

IronSkadden wrote:Hi there,

At a law fair last week, I met the director of admissions of a school to which I'm applying. We had a longish conversation and seemed to click. I'm considering sending him/her a "thank you" email for taking the time to talk to me. Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Thanks for your insight.

You can do it but I honestly don't think it will help.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:39 pm

I did this after a prospective students day and I got a decent email back. He remembered our conversation and sent me the link to a student blog for law students with kids that we had discussed. He was pretty chatty in his email and we seemed to click pretty well. I wouldn't expect much out of it though other than what shinners mentions.

I should note however that this is a school in my home town and it's a huge safety for me. Even if my LSAT is what it was on my cold diagnostic, I should get in with money. It's possible that he's trying to win ME over.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:08 pm

If I was in his position, meeting as many undergraduates as he has to be meeting, I would be fed up with an inbox full of brown-nosing emails. But maybe he gets a kick out of watching students try to use him as a connection.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”