Should I include a job on my CV that doesn't start til Jan?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Add the job?

yes
67%
no
33%

Total votes: 12

countercouper

Should I include a job on my CV that doesn't start til Jan?

Postby countercouper » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:07 pm

I was lucky enough to land a competitive position at the European Parliament doing minority integration research for a German MEP, but it doesn't start until January. (I plan to submit all my apps by Thanksgiving.) Typically, I wouldn't think of including something on my resume that hasn't even started yet, but the only other jobs I've held since graduating have been as an office worker and a bartender... and only 1 of those is actually going on my resume.

I'm aiming for YHS+CCB and I think this job might make a difference, especially since what I'll be doing relates to why I want to enter law school. Any advice on how to play this?
Last edited by countercouper on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

countercouper

Re: Should I include a job on my CV that doesn't start til Jan?

Postby countercouper » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:36 pm

bump. added a poll.

PKozi

Postby PKozi » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:34 pm

I say yes, as long as you indicate that you'll be starting in January. My justification is that the deadline for most schools is in January or February, so it would be on your resume if you submitted then

Kimberly

Postby Kimberly » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:41 pm

This is a tough one. A CV/Resume is usually a showcase of what one has already accomplished. That said, we do list our completed manuscripts that have not yet been published, not even knowing whether or not they will EVER be published. And, I suppose just landing the job is an accomplishment in and of itself. That said, I could see listing and then attempting to quantify the accomplishment by describing how many people you beat out of the position or something like that. If you don't have that type of information, I would try to just integrate into your PS in a way that highlights your enthusiasm to start this new project because of how it relates to your future career goals, etc....

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”