Classes for last semester

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tom Joad

Classes for last semester

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:45 pm

In my last semester I can sign up for 2 or 3 classes that I need just for the hours. I am a poli sci major and geography minor and I think it would be wise for me to understand business a little if I end up going into corporate law.

If this is a good idea I will probably take the first accounting class my school offers, and also an econ class.

The question is, should I take macro or micro? Micro seems to make sense to me right now so I better understand how firms operate on the inside, but I am wary of the class turning into personal finance.

Gizmo

Re: Classes for last semester

Postby Gizmo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Micro. College level microeconomics classes, especially introductory level ones, are all theory anyway and definitely not finance related. Also, it's much more interesting/broadly applicable.

Kess

Postby Kess » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:18 pm

If your school has business law, I'd recommend. My UG has a good one.

cartesianproduct

Postby cartesianproduct » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Graduate student in accounting here. Just my two cents, if accounting is brand new to you, I wouldn't take the GPA risk. I help run the intro class at my school and the exam average hovers around 62%. Its not rocket science, but it might not be how you want to end your UG experience.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:06 pm

cartesianproduct wrote:Graduate student in accounting here. Just my two cents, if accounting is brand new to you, I wouldn't take the GPA risk. I help run the intro class at my school and the exam average hovers around 62%. Its not rocket science, but it might not be how you want to end your UG experience.

I could take it pass/fail. I know law schools frown on it, but acceptances will already be out by that point. I really wouldn't feel bad about taking a class like that as pass/fail since I am voluntarily taking a challenging class to broaden my horizons. I think that is what a pass/fail option is all about IMO. Business Law is an option too. I would have to ask some people that I know who have taken it at my uni. Thanks for the replies though guys.

icpb

Postby icpb » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Macro and micro econ are interesting, but they will not teach you anything relevant to corporate law. I would strongly recommend taking corporate finance, financial accounting, or financial system to get some fundamental understanding of markets, financial institutions, and financial statements.

caminante

Postby caminante » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:18 pm

Take an econ class. Even if it doesn't teach you anything specifically about finance in law, it will be valuable to you. You will sound much more informed speaking on current events with some basic econ under your belt. This helps in any field.

You should probably take micro. I actually think micro should always come before macro because it sets up the underlying frame-work of all Economics. However, if you want to learn more about GDP, national deficits, etc. go ahead and take macro.

Unless you have a veerrryyy strange prof, intro to micro-econ should not contain any personal finance.

I was an econ major, so I may be biased. :wink:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”