Q about in state vs. OOS WL at Boalt

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rickfox

Q about in state vs. OOS WL at Boalt

Postby rickfox » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:09 pm

I heard UCB has an in state and OOS WL, of which they generally only draw from the in state one. I graduated from a CA public high school, and am thus eligible for in state tuition. I went to a UC for undergrad and grew up in California. But after graduation I moved OOS for 1.5 years (filed taxes OOS, new driver's license, etc.). I know this is a relatively technical/specific question, but does anyone know if I would be eligible for the in state WL given my situation. Boalt is one of my top picks and if I get WL'd, I'm just wondering where I stand. Tyia.

Redclh

Re: Q about in state vs. OOS WL at Boalt

Postby Redclh » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:05 pm

Interested in this as well, close to same situation.

mattbarnes123

Postby mattbarnes123 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Bump. Guess well just hope to be admitted so this isn't an issue lol

mattbarnes123

Postby mattbarnes123 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:13 pm

giantsfan703

Postby giantsfan703 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:27 pm

rickfox wrote:I heard UCB has an in state and OOS WL, of which they generally only draw from the in state one. I graduated from a CA public high school, and am thus eligible for in state tuition. I went to a UC for undergrad and grew up in California. But after graduation I moved OOS for 1.5 years (filed taxes OOS, new driver's license, etc.). I know this is a relatively technical/specific question, but does anyone know if I would be eligible for the in state WL given my situation. Boalt is one of my top picks and if I get WL'd, I'm just wondering where I stand. Tyia.

I'm in the same boat, but it's my understanding that your residency must be continuous unless you're, say, studying abroad or in college out of state and your primary residency remains California throughout. Some of the metrics they use to determine this are things like voting registration (are you still registered in CA, or did you switch), do you still have a vehicle registered in CA and a valid CA drivers license without holding these things in another state, etc...

Keep in mind that I don't know for sure. This was just my take on the quick research that I've done in this regard.

Edited: to answer your question, I doubt that you're eligible. But good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”