How many addenda is too many?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
lulzalicious
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:17 pm

How many addenda is too many?

Postby lulzalicious » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:29 pm

I am going to have one for my 3 semesters of US ug before I did my degree abroad. I will have a Diversity Statement. But now Im thinking Ill need an addendum for my LSAT as well. Ill have an absence/157ish/170+. (Everything that could have gone wrong did on my test day so Im having to retake...which I totally didnt expect to have to do.)
Also, my degree is from overseas so is going to be classed as either 'Superior' or 'Above average'. Should I attach an addenda explaining anything about grades/course?

Also, can I do a Why X for each of my top schools if they dont require it?

Will this be too much?

Thanks :)

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: How many addenda is too many?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:40 pm

lulzalicious wrote:I am going to have one for my 3 semesters of US ug before I did my degree abroad.


Why? No point.

lulzalicious wrote:Also, my degree is from overseas so is going to be classed as either 'Superior' or 'Above average'. Should I attach an addenda explaining anything about grades/course?


No.

lulzalicious wrote:Also, can I do a Why X for each of my top schools if they dont require it?


Add them to schools that actually care about them, e.g., MVPDN.

User avatar
lulzalicious
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: How many addenda is too many?

Postby lulzalicious » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:50 pm

^ Oh, the gpa addendum is because those 3 sems were abysmally FAIL...I think its def necessary. No to the explaining the overseas degree, thanks. But what about the LSAT addendum?

Total noob question, but MVPDN...what are D and N? Sry..

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: How many addenda is too many?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:55 pm

lulzalicious wrote:^ Oh, the gpa addendum is because those 3 sems were abysmally FAIL...I think its def necessary. No to the explaining the overseas degree, thanks. But what about the LSAT addendum?

Total noob question, but MVPDN...what are D and N? Sry..


Ooh, fair enough. Were the poor grades because of some legitimate reason (e.g., poor health, family death, etc)? Or was it just because you goofed off? If the former, then write the addendum. If the latter, don't.

Again, if it is for some legitimate reason(s), then I think an LSAT addendum is suitable.

D = Duke, N = Northwestern.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: How many addenda is too many?

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:56 pm

Wait until you get an actual test date score of 170+ on the LSAT.

User avatar
lulzalicious
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: How many addenda is too many?

Postby lulzalicious » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Yea, quite a few legitimate reasons for the GPA thing, but def need explaining.

And yea obviously Id wait, but excluding one recent PT Ive been PT'ing pretty high so Im trying to gauge how many addenda Ill need/what to put in them.

Thanks! :)

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: How many addenda is too many?

Postby TommyK » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Write as many as you like as long as you add an addendum explaining why you decided to write so many superfluous addenda.

User avatar
lulzalicious
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: How many addenda is too many?

Postby lulzalicious » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:43 pm

TommyK wrote:Write as many as you like as long as you add an addendum explaining why you decided to write so many superfluous addenda.


I think so far one for GPA, LSAT and a WhyX each cover necessary and completely separate issues so nothings superfluous...

I can tie it all together in explaining why I wrote them in my Personal Statement do :D Tanks dude.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: How many addenda is too many?

Postby bp shinners » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:01 pm

lulzalicious wrote:
TommyK wrote:Write as many as you like as long as you add an addendum explaining why you decided to write so many superfluous addenda.


I think so far one for GPA, LSAT and a WhyX each cover necessary and completely separate issues so nothings superfluous...

I can tie it all together in explaining why I wrote them in my Personal Statement do :D Tanks dude.


If they present a legitimate explanation for something questionable about your application, they're not superfluous. Make sure you have something to say, say it, and attach it.

That being said, the risk of coming across as overly worried and 'whiny' increases exponentially with each addendum you attach. So make sure that doesn't happen.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], big_willy_style_333, dan9257, Google [Bot], sethnoorzad and 1 guest