[Subject Title Pending]

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
murray18

[Subject Title Pending]

Postby murray18 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 am

Alright so I was auto-admitted to FSU less than a week after I applied. Fortunately, since I'm still waiting on a professor to send in my second LOR, I've only applied to one other school (UGA, probably the best choice for an in-stater like me). I don't really have any incentive to apply to my "backup" schools anymore, so I'm trying to decide between applying to more "reaches" (which I probably wont attend unless the $ is there), saving my application $, and still applying to the safeties, in the hopes that I can use scholarships as leverage for FSU and UGA.

I'm still going to apply to UGA, Bama, Tulane, and WUSTL, but should I even bother applying elsewhere for leverage, or is that bologna?

Thanks folks

CanadianWolf

Re: [Subject Title Pending]

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:29 am

Indiana might offer a generous scholarship due to your 168 LSAT score. Apply to several reaches that interest you since this year applications may be down.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:42 am

Oh I didn't realize that. Indiana it is! Should I look at applying to a few schools that LSN indicates might be too much of a reach, just on the chance that applications are down and my 168 stands out a bit more? If so, would admission to these be beneficial at all in negotiations with other schools for financial aid, or is scholarship money from other schools the only real leverage?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:45 am

murray18 wrote:Oh I didn't realize that. Indiana it is! Should I look at applying to a few schools that LSN indicates might be too much of a reach, just on the chance that applications are down and my 168 stands out a bit more? If so, would admission to these be beneficial at all in negotiations with other schools for financial aid, or is scholarship money from other schools the only real leverage?

Admission to a *better* school can be leverage, but not admission to a peer school. Between peer schools, scholarship offers are the best leverage.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:45 am

murray18 wrote:Oh I didn't realize that. Indiana it is! Should I look at applying to a few schools that LSN indicates might be too much of a reach, just on the chance that applications are down and my 168 stands out a bit more? If so, would admission to these be beneficial at all in negotiations with other schools for financial aid, or is scholarship money from other schools the only real leverage?

sure, why not? And yes/possibly, to the leveraging bit

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”