Resume help! (critique/advice needed; will return favor). Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Resume help! (critique/advice needed; will return favor).

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:47 am

I was an assistant manager of a Baskin Robins in 2002.

I worked in the stock room at Victoria's Secret from 2003-2007 (I was in college).

I have student teaching experience, which was unpaid, but It's on my resume since the last time I used my resume I was applying for a teaching job (currently a full-time English teacher).

These things seem pretty trivial compared to what I've been doing lately and what I hope to do in the future. Should I include them on my resume at this point? I'm re-writing it at this moment, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks TLS!
Last edited by 3v3ryth1ng on Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ladybug89

Bronze

Re: Should I include my old job at Baskin Robins on my resume?

Post by ladybug89 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:01 am

Are you still in UG? If not, how many years out are you?

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:02 am

Your post seems to indicate that the Baskin Robbins job was pre-UG? Is that correct? If so, leave it off your resume.

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:04 am

wait duh you said you were in college until 2007. I agree, leave off Baskin Robbins but include Victoria's Secret (i think even for people who are a few years out, it's useful to show what you were up to in UG, however briefly).

3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:08 am

ladybug89 wrote:wait duh you said you were in college until 2007. I agree, leave off Baskin Robbins but include Victoria's Secret (i think even for people who are a few years out, it's useful to show what you were up to in UG, however briefly).
Yup. Baskin Robins was OLD. I graduated from UG in 2006. I only consider it because I moved up there (just an ice cream scooper to assistant manager), while I didn't advance at Victoria's Secret for the whole time I was there.

Also, the student teaching experience- should I keep that? I'd love to hear from any former teachers out there.

3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:17 am

Here's one version of my resume. It's redacted to protect sensitive information (though if you really want to stalk me, I'm sure there's a way). Please critique it. Focus on things I can change, such as the wording and the format. I'm aware that it's not perfect (this is definitely a draft).

I decided against including the VS and Baskin Robins stuff, mainly because those jobs seemed too menial to add to my resume significantly. I got it to fit on one page, but I'm not sure if it looks too cluttered; I need a more objective opinion.

BTW- I'm pretty good at critiquing/editing myself, so if you need me to return the favor by critiquing something of yours, I will gladly do so. Thanks! --ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”