LOR Situation--Poll

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spek

LOR Situation--Poll

Postby spek » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Last edited by spek on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mrtoren

Re: LOR Situation--Poll

Postby mrtoren » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:17 pm

Many faculty letters are impersonal. Even if you have a strong relationship with a professor, they're probably using a generic template they set up years ago. Law schools just want to see that you're liked well enough/performed well enough to get some professors to put their name behind you..regardless of whether the letter is excellent or average. Besides, admissions comes down to LSAT and GPA. I don't know of anyone who's been rejected for impersonal LOR's.

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:26 am

Are you applyin' to any reaches, sister? How about Stanford or Yale?

If not, SEND THEM IN, BABY!

spek

Postby spek » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:11 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:Are you applyin' to any reaches, sister? How about Stanford or Yale?

If not, SEND THEM IN, BABY!

I am applying to those two. Just heard back from my professor and he intends to send the letters soon--fingers crossed he follows through with that.

Thanks for the advice!

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:15 pm

I apologize if this is thread jacking but what constitutes a good or bad LOR? Mine pretty much say way nicer things about my work and personality than I could say myself, but usually I assume most LORs are like that. Are some LORs just like this: "I had him or her in class and he or she got an A. She was a fine student."?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I apologize if this is thread jacking but what constitutes a good or bad LOR? Mine pretty much say way nicer things about my work and personality than I could say myself, but usually I assume most LORs are like that. Are some LORs just like this: "I had him or her in class and he or she got an A. She was a fine student."?

Degree of specificity. A lot of LORs are very vague because the professor doesn't really know the student--just that the student did A work. This is common particularly with people who didn't get the chance to take many seminars in undergrad, etc.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”