UT Personal Statement

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vkgarrett

UT Personal Statement

Postby vkgarrett » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Hello there! From reading the UT admissions website, it seems as though they really want a personal statement that includes some kind of "why texas, and why UT" as a personal statement. I'm also having a difficult time cutting down my personal statement (I know I know, I need to just cut it down already). Do you think it's helpful to write an entirely new one for UT specifically?

Hopefully2012

Re: UT Personal Statement

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:36 pm

Helpful for admissions? Probably, if it's a well written statement.

Worth the time to write a completely new statement imo? meh, not for me.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:49 pm

Yes, especially if applying as a non-resident.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:58 pm

1L at UT here. Fwiw, I'm a CA resident, did not tailor my PS at all, got in with $$ sporting only 168/3.65.

dba415

Postby dba415 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Cade McNown wrote:1L at UT here. Fwiw, I'm a CA resident, did not tailor my PS at all, got in with $$ sporting only 168/3.65.

URM?

beezy08

Postby beezy08 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:12 pm

vkgarrett wrote:Hello there! From reading the UT admissions website, it seems as though they really want a personal statement that includes some kind of "why texas, and why UT" as a personal statement. I'm also having a difficult time cutting down my personal statement (I know I know, I need to just cut it down already). Do you think it's helpful to write an entirely new one for UT specifically?

Where did you read something that suggested that? When I was reading, their requirements for the PS seemed very vague. I think it said give an insight to experiences and characteristics or something like that.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:33 pm

dba415 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:1L at UT here. Fwiw, I'm a CA resident, did not tailor my PS at all, got in with $$ sporting only 168/3.65.

URM?

No, White male.
If you have a compelling reason to be in Texas, I'd work that into your PS. But I wouldn't contrive any disingenuous reason you'll love Texas. Admissions officers understand your desire to go to UT: we're a good school. I don't think it's necessary that you tailor your essay.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:25 pm

beezy08 wrote:
vkgarrett wrote:Hello there! From reading the UT admissions website, it seems as though they really want a personal statement that includes some kind of "why texas, and why UT" as a personal statement. I'm also having a difficult time cutting down my personal statement (I know I know, I need to just cut it down already). Do you think it's helpful to write an entirely new one for UT specifically?

Where did you read something that suggested that? When I was reading, their requirements for the PS seemed very vague. I think it said give an insight to experiences and characteristics or something like that.

+1

All I could find is the following information, stated on both the UT website and admissions bulletin:
A personal statement is required of each applicant and
is an opportunity to give the committee insight into
individual experiences and characteristics. Personal
statements are limited to two double-spaced pages
(please, no small fonts). However, applicants will have
the opportunity to submit optional addenda to explain
unusual circumstances, such as a period of poor academic
performance, academic sanctions, history of problems
with standardized tests, history of overcoming disadvantage,
prior law school matriculation, criminal matters, etc.

vkgarrett

Postby vkgarrett » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:34 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
beezy08 wrote:

+1

All I could find is the following information, stated on both the UT website and admissions bulletin:
A personal statement is required of each applicant and
is an opportunity to give the committee insight into
individual experiences and characteristics. Personal
statements are limited to two double-spaced pages
(please, no small fonts). However, applicants will have
the opportunity to submit optional addenda to explain
unusual circumstances, such as a period of poor academic
performance, academic sanctions, history of problems
with standardized tests, history of overcoming disadvantage,
prior law school matriculation, criminal matters, etc.

Sorry, to clarify from reading all the posts about on here and other UT websites, basically if you are out of state you need to find a compelling reason about why you want to go to Texas, and you better include that in your personal statement (b/c there is no other place to include it). However you guys are making me feel better, I might just incorporate my current personal statement to make it a little bit pro-texas.

thanks !

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”